Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st March 2017, 09:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
That's got a Pentax K mount, but with a fixed 50 mm lens? It's more affordable than a Nikon F6 though!
Old 1st March 2017, 11:46 AM
Friend

Default Zenith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Rick View Post
That's got a Pentax K mount, but with a fixed 50 mm lens? It's more affordable than a Nikon F6 though!
I think that is bad writing on behalf of the catalogue author. Is it not possible they meant:- Fixed focal length but interchangable with K mount lenses.
Old 1st March 2017, 04:37 PM
Friend

The question is, who would want a new, full-spec system SLR?
Not the pros- they're all digital, or toying with 'quirky' hand-held 5x4.
Not the serious amateur- they've snapped up all the MF and LF gear that was dumped by Pros going digital, stuff which once was unafordable. Now this forum is full of people using Bronica,Mamiya and LF kit. When I went to the old camera club everyone shot 35mm.
Camera development needs volume to offset R & D costs, and there justisn't enough demand.

However . . .
If we treat it as a thought experiment a new SLR would be a hybrid. Yes, load the 35mm cassette of your favourite 'Lomo' film, but the mirror would bounce the image up onto a digital sensor. That sensor would feed an electronic viewfinder, and capture a digital file (with 'Geo-tagging' and exposure data) as well at the moment of exposure. That way, impatient hipsters could review the shot instantly on the LCD screen on the back of the camera, and share the 'capture' on instagram.
The camera would be K mount, as there must be a million lenses out there, and will have to look 'retro' and 'cool' to distinguish the user as a film-guy. Imagine some Frankensteinian cross between a Nikon Photomic and an iPhone. The user would have the kudos of being a 'film shooter' with the instant gratification of digi. Probably best if it was waterproof too, for sea and ski selfies.

I won't need one though, as I've still got my XD7's, SRT's, and if I ever get my darkroom fixed I'll be going straight back to 5x4. The 35mm SLR was a wonderful thing for it's day, but apparently now even the DSLR is losing ground to the smaller, lighter mirrorless systems.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:53 PM
Friend

Shame on you, Skellum, and another Minolta fan to boot. I too am in the middle of finding enough room to fix up my all dry darkroom with a Meopta Opemus that I found close enough to only have to pay 20 quid approx transport costs.
My Minoltas are an SRT101 and an XG2 and I'm realistic enough not to believe that they're immortal. The meter needle's stuck on the SRT and the leds flicker a bit on the XG2. There will come a time when all the Minolta bodies will have been snapped up and then what will I do? Sooner or later the supply of second-hand serviceable cameras will dry up through a mixture of hoarding and normal wear and tear. We'll just have to mull over the old times over a bottle of Talisker.
Old 1st March 2017, 09:43 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
Blimey! This has really shocked me. It's like being time-warped back to 1970 when the only camera I had was a Zenith E.

As my current cameras are 2 Pentax ME Supers and a Pentax MG I already have K-mount lenses to fit this Zenit 122k camera. I wish you hadn't informed me of this: the romantic pull is almost irresistible.
Old 10th March 2017, 09:43 AM
Friend

I remember glancing through this thread a few weeks ago, and now I've found my Canon A1, blown the dust off it, checked that the battery works etc., and found a film in my fridge. What next, I wonder! Perhaps I'll load the film and get committed.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies