Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th March 2014, 02:31 AM
Friend

Personally I think Rankin is a pretty average professional photographer. I don't think he's breaking any new ground and I also think he's trying trying to be a "Celeb". And like most "Celeb"s these days, there is absolutely nothing special to celebrate about them at all. They just happen to have put themselves in the media.

Rant over.
Old 15th March 2014, 02:55 PM
Friend

So I musted up some effort, which didn't take much doing if I'm honest

The film isn't about what to use to make pictures, its seems like a lightweight look at the industry and the Hollywood stars of their time with a fun re-creation element thrown in.
Rankin isn't a difficult person to like, he's pretty easy going on screen with very few rough edges, a likable guy.

It was mildly interesting but I find myself questioning again his motivation for making it, it could simply be the Beeb asked him to do it, or it could be his idea, I dunno but because it is so "easy listening" and Rankin so polished in his attitude and the way he comes across, I'm left wondering if he's a golden age Hollywood wannabe shooter, chasing an impossible dream, impossible because the persona's shot then, do not exist now, or maybe he wants to try and show that he's better, basking in reflected glory sorta thing....who knows ?
Either way its all about Rankin, but beggers can't be choosers when it comes to anything photographic on TV.
Old 15th March 2014, 03:10 PM
Friend

I think Joanna Lumley summed it up in the Brian Duffy bio video when she said that back in her day as a model it was the photographers who were the stars and not the models. Today it is the models who are the stars and not the photographers. I think Rankin is trying to buck that trend. i.e. it's all about self promotion and he's pretty good at that. Not many photographers get the opportunity to make films for TV.
Old 16th March 2014, 01:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Can you name one who is less self-promotional?
I think I know where you're coming from, and you're probably right.

Regarding the programme itself, you're never going to reproduce film shots on digital as the two just aren't the same.

Although I use digital - wait for the cries of "shame" to die down - I did think it was overkill with those two damn great computer monitors and the rest of the kit. If he needed all of that gear to reproduce something originally done with a plate camera one has to wonder whether or not photography itself has progressed or not.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies