Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 16th September 2014, 01:43 AM
Friend

Default "Legal depoist"

Hi Argentum,

Humm I am completely wrong and it appears to be more complex than 21 years.

Briefly Published works:-
“In the 1911 Act the term of author's copyright was extended to the lifetime of the author and 50 years thereafter; this remained the case under the 1956 Act and the 1988 Act.”

And artistic:-
“Accordingly, copyright in literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works currently expires 70 years from the end of the calendar year of the author's death. Where the work has more than one author, the copyright expires 70 years after the death of the last survivor of them.”

Yes the “British library” is required to “harvest” and archive web material. Viewing and using “web harvested” material has very restrictive conditions of research / use as this is classed as “Legal deposit” and appears to require the researcher to go the library that holds the material in question where it can be viewed on one screen only and only one printed copy may be made of part of the viewed material.

There is more lots more, which I guess we should all be aware of ?? Certainly as an NZ citizen I appear to be protected under British copy right, I did not know that !!

Regards

Rob
Old 16th September 2014, 02:04 AM
Friend

The point is that you were always required to deposit any published literature with stated government establishments. They have now extended that to include web publication except you aren't necessarily required to do it yourself, they just come and get it whether you like it or not.

It's done under the auspices of "education and research" making it look innocuous but...
Old 16th September 2014, 08:55 PM
Friend

I joined this forum several years ago to hopefully learn from other users. In recent weeks I have become very dissillusioned with it,as some threads have become very derogotary in nature. Several weeks ago we had a thread leading to negative remarks being made agianst a local camera shop of mine,which were unfounded.
This week we now have a similar thread,because a member has asked a simple question about how to leave the forum,but it has turned into something more.

Some people need to get their house in order,as it is only a hobby after all.
Old 16th September 2014, 09:10 PM
Friend

I thought I was just explaining to the OP why his request was impractical but it seems that some people like to look for the negatives in anything and start pointing their fingers. Perhaps they should get their house in order.
Old 16th September 2014, 09:17 PM
Friend

Default Argentum

That may be the case in your last post,but re read the post you posted on the 14th September,JohnArt only asked a simple question,that required a simple answer.

Last edited by Brian Iddon; 16th September 2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 17th September 2014, 07:29 AM
Friend

Argentum, it certainly seemed to me too that you jumped into this thread fighting. After all, the OP merely asked how to leave and said nothing about motives.

I agree with Brian Iddon about the negativity of some threads; but there's still plenty of good material on the forum.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:26 AM
Friend

I always think it is best to just move on and leave it there and keep your membership open - after all it is free. You never know you may want to return one day and then you can just pick it up and start again. Several here now have done just that and are enjoying their second time around.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th September 2014, 12:27 PM
Friend

On the matter of copyright deposit in the UK: the copyright deposit libraries are the British Library, Oxford and Cambridge university libraries and the national libraries of Scotland and Wales. By historical chance, Trinity College Library in Dublin is one too. All UK publications are required to be deposited with the British Library: the others are entitled to claim what they want.

That describes a situation that worked during the print era; but online and other non-print publication makes things much more difficult to manage. The original intent was simply to maintain a national archive of publications. That intent, it seems to me, is still valid; but implementing it will enrich lawyers and muddle the brains of the rest of us. The legislation simply hasn't caught up with the Web; and I very much doubt it ever will.

I worked as a librarian with responsibility for a university's Irish collection. Managing it was a hands-on job, with a lot of contacts required; and that was up to 2004 when it was mainly print materials. I'm rather relieved to have retired when I did!
Old 17th September 2014, 12:43 PM
Friend

now that EVERYTHING is being digitised it opens up the opportunites to do statistical analysis and "data mining". The problem is that the logic of doing this is so massively complex that IMO its impossible to get it right. However, there are many who claim they can and the people wanting the statistics believe them. Result is meaningless statistics and wrong results from data mining. Then decisions are made on the assumption that what came from the software must be right.

The govt censorship filter edict to Internet Service Providers is one such example. That was annouced just after the law was changed allowing them use everyones digital data. You have to ask, how can they build this filter without looking at everyones online data. They could buy it from google or microsoft or they could build their own with a search robot. Well they built a search robot (actually used an existing one) and now trawl the web, under the auspices of the British Library, and build censorship filters. Now thats what I call IRONY, the major seat of learning and knowledge being used as a front for govt censorship. We're on the he thin end of the wedge and will continue to move up it IMO as govt tries to take more control. Where will it end?

Last edited by Argentum; 17th September 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 2nd October 2014, 08:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
why do people expect that they can put their writings and comments into into the public domain and then as an after thought take them back. You just can't. It's like publishing a book, selling it and then changing your mind and expecting everyone to return it.
I thought everyone understood by now that if you put something on the web its there for perpetuity. It will have been copied and archived by anyone who cares to. Google will have copies, microsoft will have copies, dozens of web archive sites will have copies, the govt will have copies. Yes they do, the British library copies every web site in the UK (and probably more). The govt changed the law so they can legally do it and republish it.
So it's all out there and there's nothing you can do about it.

And it screws up forum topics if you remove someones posts later which other posts are answering.

If you don't want your thoughts on the web then don't put them there in the first place.
Strewth, don't blow a gasket Kryton. Simple question, and required a simple answer only. Keep it nice people...
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies