Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th February 2014, 01:38 PM
Friend

Default Rodinal Special

Browsing the suppliers I see that Silverprint are advertising Rodinal Special as being more like a fine grain developer than the original. I have not seen this before. If true this could be the one I have been looking for. I have a small output, mainly Delta 400 in the winter, with some 35mm and would prefer a one shot dev. I usually use ID11, as Rodinal gives too much grain for me on 35mm, but nearly always throw some away. Has anybody had any experience of Rodinal Special with 35mm at 400asa?
Old 11th February 2014, 02:25 PM
Friend

It is nothing like the Rodinal we know and love, more like a ID11 fine grain type developer, and as far as I know the keeping qualities would not be a patch on standard rodinal/RO9,
Richard
Old 11th February 2014, 02:33 PM
Friend

Stuart possibly a better developer for you would be the Ilford Ilfotec LC29, which keeps well and is designed for low volume users, and would develop delta films perfectly, and would probably keep better than Rodinal special,
Richard
Old 11th February 2014, 02:54 PM
Friend

Thanks for that Richard; I will investigate. A quick look and it seems that 500cc is the smallest quantity available. There seems to be a trend now to only sell the larger quantities. That's one of the beauties of Rodinal, being available (still, hopefully) in the little 125cc bottles.
Old 11th February 2014, 03:45 PM
Friend

Have a look at Ultrafin T-Plus:http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/tet...0ml-3526-p.asp http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/images/...broschuere.pdf
Old 7th March 2014, 09:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
Browsing the suppliers I see that Silverprint are advertising Rodinal Special as being more like a fine grain developer than the original. I have not seen this before. If true this could be the one I have been looking for. I have a small output, mainly Delta 400 in the winter, with some 35mm and would prefer a one shot dev. I usually use ID11, as Rodinal gives too much grain for me on 35mm, but nearly always throw some away. Has anybody had any experience of Rodinal Special with 35mm at 400asa?
Rodinal/RO9 Special is still available in 120ml bottles. I use it almost exclusively and it works perfect down to the last drop from the bottle, even if opened for a few months. But it does not have the keeping properties as ordinary Rodinal/RO9 which lasts for years. Why are you throwing some of yours away?
Old 8th March 2014, 10:38 AM
Friend

If you keep it too long with only an inch or so in the bottle Rodinal can still expire as I know to my cost...
Old 8th March 2014, 11:17 PM
Friend

Perhaps it would help everyone if you could explain exactly what you are looking for in a developer. Traditional Rodinal has a very particular tonal look, sharp but, for my taste, extensive grain and keeping qualities akin to HC110 when used as a one-shot developer. Do you want these qualities or are you searching for something else??

David.
www,dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 9th March 2014, 12:34 PM
Friend

Used with the right films (APX100 Tmax100) Rodinal R09 gives exceptionally fine grain, superb tonality and excellent sharpness.

However as the OP's shooting 400 ISO films Rodinal Special, DDX or Ilfotec would be better developers.

Ian
Old 5th November 2014, 09:33 AM
Friend

DDX would be my choice if I used delta400 I use it with HP5
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies