Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th July 2015, 05:33 PM
Friend

Default Leitz V35 and Multigrade filters

I have been using the colour filters built in to the enlarger to alter the grades with Ilford Multigrade papers. The filtration chart is contained in the instruction sheet with the paper. I have felt for some time, however, that it would be be better, and easier when doing split-grade printing, if I could use the standard Ilford filters. The problem with this enlarger has always been mounting the filter holder. I remembered today, about 15 or so years since I bought the filter kit, that it came with extra parts for alternative mounting arrangements. Having now dug out the box, I can say that the screw parts for mounting direct to the lens seem to work well with the V35. The aperture can be adjusted, and the focus ring moved sufficiently. The filter holder doesn't seem to cause any wear or damage to the lens barrel, and it is quick to fit and remove. I am now wondering why I have not tried this before. I'm now looking for a spare filter holder to fit on the other enlarger I pinched this one from.
Alex
Old 26th July 2015, 06:59 PM
Friend

Hi Alex. As you know from another thread I have been trying colour filters after using the standard Ilford filters for some time on a different enlarger. I'm happy to have a choice, I just wondered why you say it is better to use the latter? Is there a real difference?

Jake
Old 26th July 2015, 07:22 PM
Friend

Hi Jake. I think the Ilford filters are designed to work specifically with their papers, so should theoretically give the best results. Using a colour head is less straightforward in certain situations. If you decide to use more than one grade for a particular print, it's easier to simply change the Ilford filters, than dialling in a different combination on the head. That is a problem with my enlarger because I don't have the swing in red filter, so I have to put the lens cap on, switch the enlarger on to see the filter values, adjust the dials, switch off and remove the cap before making the second exposure. It doesn't sound much, but simply pulling one filter out and putting another in would be preferable. You should try working with your colour head to see how you get on. It may well be more straightforward than my set up. You can always switch back to the Ilford filters if you find that they were easier to use. One advantage of the colour head is that the filtration is infinitely variable within the maximum and minimum values, so you can make finer adjustments between grades. I've never done that, but it could be useful at some point.
Alex.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies