Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th November 2015, 12:34 PM
Friend

Default Anyone using a mirror lens?

Just purchased a Sigma f8 600mm lens (it was cheap and I could not resist it). Has anyone any advice on using mirror lenses?
Old 13th November 2015, 01:48 PM
Friend

yes -- don't BANG it or you will knock the mirrors out of alignment.
Old 13th November 2015, 02:19 PM
Friend

I owned one of these lenses back in the early 90s and found it to be a capable performer with the right subject. However, unless you are using a high speed film hand holding it is not really an option. Using the mirror lens trademark 'doughnut rings' as a backdrop to a strong subject can produce some stunning results. I eventually ran out of ideas for using it and sold it on to a work colleague !

A good light long lens for some big telephoto work - get control of those 'doughnuts' and have some fun

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 13th November 2015, 04:20 PM
Friend

Like Neil, I used one in the early 90s and found it to be a very capable performer, but the fixed aperture was limiting, mine came with a couple of ND filters, and these and other filters had to be attached to the rear of the lens, better not to hand hold the lens and many modern cameras won't meter easily with the lens attached, The doughnuts can be stunning it used correctly, for big telephoto work they are are capable and cheap lens able to produce good results if used with care, I suggest you need at least a monopod to get the best from it, try it and have fun with it
Richard
Old 13th November 2015, 05:05 PM
Friend

I had one for a while, and even with some nasty internal fog it created some respectable photos.

I'm another one that likes the donut effect, which happens when used for close up photos.
Old 13th November 2015, 08:46 PM
Friend

I, too, had a 600mm F/8 catadioptric lens for a while. I could never get a sharp negative out of it. Film was ISO 400. Either it showed camera-shake (even at 1/500) or the focusing was not quite right (the ring needs to be stiffer).
But it was cheap and I was shooting distant antics on a river, so the doughnuts were not intrusive.
Old 13th November 2015, 10:33 PM
Friend

I have a 500mm f8 nikkor mirror lens ,or as they were also called CAT lenses with all the rear screw on filters and the case and the box and the instructions bought it cheap as AF was taking off ,I had only Nikon MF cameras ,I got it from T&B photographic in Romford , .because its so short I find a mono pod works well with it , and when I use it on my F4 I even get the green light to tell me its in focus. mine will fit all the F series, except the F5 and F6 .I like the donuts and its a great portrait lens like no other portrait lens (out doors)...I love it ....I hope you have fun with yours.

www.essexcockney.com
Old 14th November 2015, 12:30 AM
Friend

Although they can give very sharp images, I had a loan of a Tamron 500 cat a few years ago and to be honest I struggled even using a manfrotto 55b tripod and a electronic release. They seem to be very sensitive to wind shake.......Not my long lens of choice.
Old 14th November 2015, 07:22 AM
Friend

Have you ever seen pictures of the Zeiss 1000mm f5.6 Mirotar? It was available in the Zeiss Ikon Contax mount, Yashica/Contax, the Rollei QBM, and the SL66. It's a bit of an animal.
I have a much more modest version, the 500mm f8 Mirotar in a Contax fitting. It doesn't get used much as the close focussing distance is 20 feet so it's no use for wildlife.

Nick
Old 14th November 2015, 10:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
the 500mm f8 Mirotar in a Contax fitting. It doesn't get used much as the close focussing distance is 20 feet so it's no use for wildlife.

Nick
I think you are saying that it can't focus closer than 20ft which might be a problem for small wildlife but even the whiskers on a Bengal Tiger must be quite well defined with a 500mm at 20 feet.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies