Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th July 2016, 06:51 PM
Friend

Mike, thank you for presenting the response from Ilford to us! I had already conjectured that the minimum amount of 250ml was very much on the high side and rather the result of misinterpretation, but it´s nice to have clarity on this question and a definite answer from an expert on the topic.

Btw.: Some time ago I had a very rewarding conversation with someone on Flickr who used Perceptol in dilutions of 1+4 to 1+10(!), in the latter case using a one-hour stand development. This produced high sharpness and very pleasing tones, though with a bit more grain than you´d expect from this developer. As someone who usually uses this developer at 1:2 or 1:3, I was quite stunned that dilutions like this are even possible.
Old 18th July 2016, 12:16 PM
Friend

Grüsse Benjamin,

I think the answer to this question is far from clear, even from communications from Ilford directly. Some time ago I also happened to email them about this and received a reply that was quite different from the one Mike got. And then there's Martin's find of the German Ilford data sheet, which is different again. I don't mean to discredit the good people at Ilford -- this may be one of those questions to which there may be no definitive answer from a purely technical standpoint, but is more in the realm of personal expectations and preferences.

Based on all the contradictory recommendations on this, I suggest that personal testing be the best way to sort it out for yourself. If it works for you at higher dilution / low stock volume, then that is all that matters in the end. For my own work, I have done a number of films recently using min. 200ml stock per roll, either at 1+1 or 1+2, and I really like what I see. It seems to work well in both flat light and full sun, making it more useful to me as a roll film user; whereas the higher dilution / low stock vol. seemed to give results in flat light that did not please me at all but were fine for normal and high contrast scenes. I may still use the latter dilution if contrast is high, but for mixed scenes on the same roll it will be min. 200ml stock / roll for me. Again, that's my preference, which may be very different from yours or others.

Let us know if you do your own trials with this and what you learned.

Regards,
Svend
Old 19th July 2016, 02:08 PM
Friend

Hi Sven,

Dankeschön! I will do my own tests as soon as I find the time (hopefully within the next months). Unfortunately, I do not own a densitometer or other professional equipment, so like you, I will be confined on judging the negs by sight. However, this should suffice for a rough estimate I think...
Can someone make a guess on which developing time to use for 1+4? My feeling is that developing times do not behave in a linear way to dilution. Maybe there is a formula for that?
Old 19th July 2016, 03:31 PM
Friend

Sounds good. Let us know if you find the development to your liking at that dilution, esp. for flat light scenes.

Sorry, I can't answer your question about linear relationship of times at different dilutions. When I use a 1+2 dilution I simply go halfway between the times for 1+1 and 1+3 and the negs turn out very nice. Not very scientific, but as I rarely use that dilution for Perceptol, I haven't bothered to nail down the times through testing. Perhaps someone else knows the answer to that question...

Best,
Svend
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies