Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th June 2016, 01:26 PM
Friend

Default hand guide to prevent star trails

Has anyone built or used one of these? http://www.dennismammana.com/skyinfo...oto_guider.htm

It looks easy to make but will it work?
Old 14th June 2016, 10:55 PM
Friend

By sheer coincidence, I have just bought a book called Astrophotography for the Amateur by Michael Covington. It describes a version of this device, and refers to another book devoted to star tracking equipment. I paid £3.40 for the book on Amazon, and it is an excellent technical reference, including notes on cameras and development of film. It's the 2nd edition I have, and I can highly recommend it.
To answer your question, I think it will work. The 'critical dimension' from hinge axis to setting screw is obviously important, as is the ability to turn the screw at the right speed. I'm guessing that if you can make the thing accurately, you should be able to use it successfully. The author of my book seems to think it is an effective device, and I understand he is an expert on photographing stars, etc. Best of luck if you decide to have a go.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15th June 2016, 06:12 AM
Friend

They do work, made one a while back but progressed onto a motorised unit.
Need to make then fairly solid and keep in mind the weight of your camera..
Old 15th June 2016, 07:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisvclick View Post
They do work, made one a while back but progressed onto a motorised unit.
Need to make then fairly solid and keep in mind the weight of your camera..
How did you manage to set up a motor to move at the same speed as the moon or is it at the same speed as earth? Variable speed cordless drill or gears?
Old 15th June 2016, 11:41 AM
Friend

Im an electronics engineer by trade . After getting bored hand operating the "hinge" I looked at the commercial bits available, picked myself up off the floor and built my own ...
If anyone is interested, I used an Arduino with a stepper motor and gearbox after working out the speed needed to turn a basic polar mount.. Worked very well.
Then went to a star party with my son for the eclipse last year and found a commercial system for 20 quid all complete and working on another polar mount.. The workings have since been moved onto a bigger polar mount that fell into my hands ...
Shame you are not a lot closer, its the kind of thing you use for a while then it takes up space !!...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies