Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th October 2016, 05:29 PM
Friend

Thanks for your help and advice Gents, much appreciated, and I have looked at Ken Lee's page, interesting.
Thanks for the examples Ian, they look fine .
I have just ordered a packet of D76 along with a bottle of Tetenal Ultrafin, and I will also expose a roll at 125 and look forward to doing some experimenting, I'll post the results when I have finished.

Tim
Old 9th October 2016, 05:30 PM
Friend

T-Max developer. It pushes nicely, too.
Old 9th October 2016, 07:55 PM
Friend

Both pics look OK to me, Ian, reflecting accurately the light conditions as they were

Mike
Old 9th October 2016, 09:42 PM
Friend

Thanks Miha, thats another one to try sometime

Tim
Old 9th October 2016, 10:30 PM
Friend

coastman I have just used Tetenal ultrafin for the first time ,on a roll of Ilford hp5 1x10 7mins 30sec they are a little over developed for my liking ,I will try 6mins 30sec next time ,I have some nice portraits so when the film is dry tomorrow I will print them up and see how the grain is and I will let you know ..because ultrafin is a bit vague on there times its a matter of trial and error .I have some fomapan 200 to use soon they say on the net that 7mins30sec is the right time ,so if anybody knows different please let me know .will report back tomorrow good night all..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 10th October 2016, 04:48 PM
Friend

Thanks for the info Big Paul
I have never used Ultrafin myself, I picked a bottle up along with some more D76 that I know and trust, as I'm keen to try a different developer on my remaing rolls of Foma 200.
Hope your portraits turn out ok.

P.S The 7mins 30secs you read about, what dilution was that at ?

Tim
Old 10th October 2016, 08:45 PM
Friend

Hi Tim,

Sorry forgot to say that I used stock D76.

Mike - many thanks, appreciate the coment.

Ian - Interesting, I think I will give my next roll of Foma 200 a go at 100, and develop for 4 1/2 mins @ 20C in stock D76 and see what happens.

Ian
Old 10th October 2016, 09:57 PM
Friend

I have just finished printing a roll of Ilford 120 HP5 that I developed in Tetenal ultrafin ,the dilution was 1x10 and the time was 7mins 30sec it was a little bit over exposed , when I develop my next roll of HP5 i will dev at 7mins and see how it goes .the day I shot the film was a afternoon on a dull day and with a 300mm lens so there wasn't to much contrast in the prints they came out really well and the grain is very fine, I got better results with the ultrafin than what I got with Ilford's ilfosol3,i am very pleased with the developer .I like to keep everything standard so I will be using 1x10 dilution and 4 agitations for 10sec of every minute ,I will try FP4 it says on the bottle 8mins dev time ,and on the internet the time for fomapan 200 is 7mins 30sec ,but I will do a clip test on all 35mm film .if its as good on other films as it was on the HP5 I will use it as my main film developer..so fare Tetenal ultrafin is looking good..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 11th October 2016, 06:18 PM
Friend

Well Ultrafin sounds promising, I will try it for the first time when I finish a roll of Foma 200.
Its a pity I have used my last roll of Shanghai 100asa film which I bought to try out, and was pleasantly suprised with, Rodinal done a good job , but it would have been interesting to see how Ultrafin performed.
Cant seem to find any Shangai at the moment, must be in short supply, so will stick to Foma or Ilford.

Tim
Old 12th October 2016, 02:50 PM
Friend

I'd second Richard Gould's recommendation of Rollei RHS/Firstcall whatever it's called. I haven't tried it but Robert Vonk, who goes by Fotohuis on some forums, is a fan of Foma and the Rollei dev and he's a knowledgeable guy. He also sells some of these materials so bear that in mind although I've always found him to be a good guy. A Google search should bring up some examples of this combination.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies