Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th November 2016, 09:22 PM
Friend

Default Hi from Austria

Hi all,
I'm Klaus from Upper Austria, a long time lurker, finally new user here. I'm probably one of the younger ones on this site, born 1986, but I am a "film native", growing up using film cameras and Super8 and learning to work in the darkroom at school in my teens. I had a "digital phase" from 2005-2011 but I progressively grew tired of photography. Going back to film in 2012, and finally building a good darkroom in my cellar, got me back into the game. I still use with digital gear at work (marketing department of a semiconductor equipment manufacturer, I'm responsible for product and people photography) but for my own, private work I use film exclusively, black and white (mainly) as well as colour. I use both traditional wet printing (b&w only and my preferred way to create prints for the wall) as well as a digital darkroom (making use of the best of both worlds, when files are needed digitally). Format-wise I'm using some limited Super8 (moving image, but worth a mention), 35mm, medium format (more and more these days when speed and convenience of 35 aren't needed) and also 4x5 since earlier this year (4x5 scan only, lacking a big enough enlarger).

Looking forward to many great discussions and though exchanges!
Old 6th November 2016, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Welcome to your registered status Klaus.

Ah yes, I remember 1986 - I think I was going through my first mid-life crisis about then (might have been the second one...)

I hope you have enjoyed your lurking so far and I hope you can join in any conversations that grab your attention.

Have fun, Bob.
Old 6th November 2016, 10:53 PM
Friend

Hi Klaus,

welcome to the forum. I finally set up a working darkroom this year and finding it very rewarding. Like you, I grew up with film, but abandoned it for many years with the advent of digital cameras. I have also shot super 8 film with surprising success (using Kodak Vision3 colour film) However I sent it for professional process and telecine before digital editing, if I dare mention it here!

Regards

Edmund

Last edited by EdmundH; 6th November 2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 6th November 2016, 11:57 PM
Friend

Hello and welcome to the forum Klaus.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 7th November 2016, 12:09 AM
Friend

Welcome Klaus. Most of us may be older than you but not necessarily wiser than you

I hope you enjoy our forum

Mike
Old 7th November 2016, 05:36 AM
Friend

Hi Klaus welcome.
Richard
Old 7th November 2016, 08:11 AM
Friend

Default Welcome Indeed

Good morning Klaus

Ah, Austria. A target for me almost every year since 2002. I simply love the place. (Plus Bavaria, Northern Italy and Switzerland) A motorcyclist's paradise with wonderful roads, mountain passes and the bonus of wonderful photography. When in Austria I mainly concentrate on what I assume is lower Austria from the far west, close to Bodensee and as far east as the Grossglockner. There are some superb 'hidden valleys' with no traffic and total peace and quiet.

I will be there again next year in June.

What area do you call as upper Austria?
Old 7th November 2016, 08:59 AM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, Klaus!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 7th November 2016, 02:53 PM
Friend

Hallo Klaus! Viele Grüsse, und Willkommen.

I have never biked through Austria (would love to do that!), but I have skied there once and visited some of your charming cities. Wonderful experience, and incredible scenery. I would like to go back and ski there again. As a coincidence, my daughter visited Wien this past weekend, and loved it. Coffee houses decorated like palaces, and on every block, she said!

It's always good to hear of younger people moving away from digital and back to film. You seem to be part of a quiet movement in that direction. Film photography appears to be going through somewhat of a resurgence with younger photographers. It really is the soul of photography, isn't it? Something digital can never provide.

Cheers, and enjoy the forum.
Svend
Old 7th November 2016, 03:07 PM
Friend

Hi Klaus and welcome to fadu
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies