Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th January 2017, 10:03 PM
Friend

I wonder why KA has chosen the 100 speed? Is this the easiest slide film to revive in terms of expense.

I'd have thought that a 400 speed is a better all-rounder but maybe most slide users live in latitudes south of N Europe and /or use slide in summery-light conditions

I presume that KA has done its market research. To some extent re-introducing slide is a bit like riding a tiger. The consequences for KA of dropping slide film again with undue haste might be very serious in terms of consumers views of its overall "film" intentions

Mike
Old 6th January 2017, 10:36 PM
Friend

Mike, I remember when it was hard to move far without being presented with Velvia 50 images 😵
Old 6th January 2017, 11:29 PM
Friend

I never found faster slide film to be very good. Perhaps it is just me, but anything above 100 had a washed out look. I suspect the re-introduction of this film is closely related to the Super8 developments. The last available Super8 reversal film from Kodak was a 100ASA E6 type. It may make commercial sense to offer this material to the stills market to supplement sales of the movie version.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th January 2017, 11:39 PM
Friend

Any idea if this a newly formulated emulsion, or just E100G (or GX) with a change in designation?
Old 7th January 2017, 10:41 AM
Friend

I will stick with September it is always late especially if it is comeing from over the pond.
Old 7th January 2017, 04:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I will stick with September it is always late especially if it is comeing from over the pond.
Don't Kodak now coat all their film and paper in the UK, as a result of the UK Kodak Pension Scheme buying out that bit of the company ?

Martin
Old 7th January 2017, 05:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Don't Kodak now coat all their film and paper in the UK, as a result of the UK Kodak Pension Scheme buying out that bit of the company ?

Martin
AFIK Kodak still coat film in their coating facility in Rochester NY, the still film to order for Kodak Alaris, the company formed by the UK Pension fund, who market the Kodak film, The harrow plant, where Alaris coated paper, was closed by them last year,
Richard
Old 7th January 2017, 05:38 PM
Friend

Your explanation to my question about he chosen speed makes sense, thanks, Alex

Mike
Old 11th January 2017, 01:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I never found faster slide film to be very good. Perhaps it is just me, but anything above 100 had a washed out look. I suspect the re-introduction of this film is closely related to the Super8 developments. The last available Super8 reversal film from Kodak was a 100ASA E6 type. It may make commercial sense to offer this material to the stills market to supplement sales of the movie version.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Provia 400X is superb. I jealously reserve my remaining frozen stock for the right uses. Earlier 400 films were not as good and though I like the slower Ektachromes (including E200P which had a nearly pastel look unlike other films) I never found another 400 speed slide film nearly as good as Provia 400X.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new E100. Maybe if it's successful we will see a new faster E6 film as well (Film Ferrania is promising one.)
Old 11th January 2017, 07:06 AM
Friend

There is talk over on the other website APUG that a study will be done about the feasability of the re-introduction of Kodachrome. That would be the ultimate, but there have been so many rumours about Kodachrome it has the same status to me as Lord Lucan being found or Shergar found stuffed somewhere on a racing stables.

My last experience with Kodachrome was back in 2003 when the processing done in Switzerland - it was appalling with a magenta cast from end to end even in the edge rebates so I will not be enthusing about it's return

Time will tell
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies