Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd January 2017, 02:52 PM
Friend

Default Compass camera from 1937

I was watching the James Mason/Carla Lehmann film "Candlelight in Algeria" from 1943 last night and was intrigued by the camera that was found in the bureau drawer of Maritza (Enid Stamp-Taylor). After a bit of detective work I've found that it was the Compass camera, designed by Noel Pemberton-Billing (he, accidentally, helped to create Supermarine) in 1936 and made by (Jaeger) Le Coultre of Switzerland. What a little jewel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rP0qOJW1AQ

Nick
Old 23rd January 2017, 04:12 PM
Friend

I came across one of these at a local auction, knew it was worth a fair bit of cash, but couldn't figure out how to operate it! Complicated wee widget - on the surface at least.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:17 PM
Friend

Thanks for the link. That is a truly amazing camera. I wonder if we recruited our U.S. brothers we could persuade Ilford to have an annual run of 35mm sheet and roll film? Clearly I could not front this campaign given what I have just said in another post about Postcard Paper.

I felt the Compass is not dissimilar to an "all bells and whistles" 35mm version of a Speed Graphic but there is a rather sad story attached to it.

In their first fight in 1942 at "The Garden", Sugar Ray Robinson was knocked down in the first round by Jake Lamotta. Knowing he had a serious rival in Lamotta, Sugar Ray persuaded the Press to use this Compass camera for the re-match in Detroit where LaMotta knocked Sugar Ray out of the ring.

Jake was expecting a big enlargement from a 5x4 neg but was devastated to discover that there were only 35mm negs which barely made good postcard prints - the kind you send to relatives of your holiday in Skegness - provided you can afford the postcard paper

Jake never recovered from his discovery that there were only 35mm negs of that famous scene. In every fight with Sugar Ray after that, Robinson kept on saying: "Remember the puny Compass neg" and then pushed home his psychological advantage.

It wasn't all bad news. Jake retired and later achieved some fame as Robert De Nero. His filmed shadow boxing session is still used in the Bronx to promote the "Noble Art", the one act opera called, Cavalleria rusticana and most importantly B&W boxing movie film.

It is "an ill wind" as they say.

Mike
Old 24th January 2017, 05:52 AM
Friend

Thanks for posting Nick what an incredible piece of innovative engineering.
Richard
Old 24th January 2017, 08:05 AM
Friend

My father had a couple. I wish I knew where they were now.

Steve.
Old 24th January 2017, 09:49 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
My father had a couple. I wish I knew where they were now.

Steve.
They would be worth a tidy sum, there are a couple of them for sale on Ebay £2K and 41/2K.

Guess I won't be finding one in a charity shop or on a car boot sale.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies