Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st February 2017, 03:32 PM
Friend

Default Return of the Rondinax

Looks interesting!

http://www.ars-imago.com/lab-box/
Old 21st February 2017, 06:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
Fair play to them hope it takes off, a bit pricey though. I have a Rodinax 120 somewhere in my darkroom, never used it though, last time I saw it I tried turning the knobs and it was very stiff and squeaky. Perhaps it needs to be wet.
Old 21st February 2017, 07:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Fair play to them hope it takes off, a bit pricey though. I have a Rodinax 120 somewhere in my darkroom, never used it though, last time I saw it I tried turning the knobs and it was very stiff and squeaky. Perhaps it needs to be wet.
Norm,apparently a Rodinax went on e-bay recently for £245 So not expensive by comparison and if you are ever short of money.....

Mike
Old 21st February 2017, 09:02 PM
Friend

well gone are the days when digital photographers looked at our film cameras in disgust and say Can you still get film for them old cameras , now when people see my film camera they are generally very interested in it. and people are investing in film photography and that's a good thing

talk about a old twit ,I have just been trying to delete a full stop about five times then I realised it was a dot of dirt on the screen ,,silly old sod I am.....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 22nd February 2017, 06:17 AM
Friend

When I first started in photography around 1958 with Leica M3s, I used a Leitz 35mm Rondinax. I never had a bad development result even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing. It even had a built-in thermometer with blue fluid that allowed me to make sure it was on 20C. I used one-shot chemicals (FR brand), very convenient. Then the negs went into my Focomat Ic enlarger for prints up to 20x24". That all changed when I switched to ss reels, however.
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:10 AM
Friend

Target reached in 3 hours ...needed 70,000 euros now over 200,000 !
Who said film is dead.
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:31 AM
Friend

I think it's wonderful that film is being embraced by a whole new generation who were brought up on digital. That this product makes the whole process a little less arcane has to be good; I'm a little sceptical about processing on the coffee table though!
Old 22nd February 2017, 02:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
I think it's wonderful that film is being embraced by a whole new generation who were brought up on digital. That this product makes the whole process a little less arcane has to be good; I'm a little sceptical about processing on the coffee table though!
I'd agree but as a glass half empty person, my fear is less for film than paper, toning chemicals etc in that there are newcomers to film who may have little or no interest in darkroom work such as printing etc or who may simply lack the facilities and money to finance such, especially where, as is likely, they have the facilities and knowledge already gained for what is termed "hybrid.

Trying to read between the lines of comments that were made by Harman before it became Pemberstone I got the impression that this was its main worry too.

My other fear is whether the interest in film by the newcomers is sustainable. Do they see it as "retro-chic" where the process is part of the fun albeit involving extra effort with the danger that the fun element eventually wears thin.

I suspect that for most of us analogue is in our DNA. We were spawned in the right ocean when analogue was a way of life. This is largely not true of anyone the wrong( or is that the right? ) side of 30 years old

Mike
Old 22nd February 2017, 05:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I'd agree but as a glass half empty person, my fear is less for film than paper, toning chemicals etc in that there are newcomers to film who may have little or no interest in darkroom work such as printing etc or who may simply lack the facilities and money to finance such, especially where, as is likely, they have the facilities and knowledge already gained for what is termed "hybrid.

Trying to read between the lines of comments that were made by Harman before it became Pemberstone I got the impression that this was its main worry too.

My other fear is whether the interest in film by the newcomers is sustainable. Do they see it as "retro-chic" where the process is part of the fun albeit involving extra effort with the danger that the fun element eventually wears thin.

I suspect that for most of us analogue is in our DNA. We were spawned in the right ocean when analogue was a way of life. This is largely not true of anyone the wrong( or is that the right? ) side of 30 years old

Mike
I think you are largely correct. It takes a lot of commitment to get involved with darkroom printing with all its equipment, expense and mess, which is not practical for many. It seems that nowadays, if it can't be done on an iPhone, it's too much effort [do we really need to be able to control domestic appliances from a phone?]

However, to look on the bright side, statistically some of these new users will continue to use film, and some will create a darkroom, so as far as I'm concerned it's all good. Amusingly, I have met one or two young photographers in the past year who do 'proper' prints, and were surprised that I did...(probably thought i was too old to do 'cool' stuff like this)
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:59 PM
Friend

I hadn't shot a roll of film in 20 years until I bought a Leica M6 3 years ago. I set up my own darkroom around Christmas time and to be honest I really regret now not doing it much earlier as its a shame to shoot B&W film but not print it analog, my Minolta 5400dpi film scanner now sits on a shelf and will probably be sold.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies