Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th August 2009, 04:12 PM
Friend

Question What's your favourite alt process?

I'm wondering how many alt process printers are hiding their prints under a bushel... So all you alt process printers, it's time to stand up and be counted: what's your favourite alt process and why?
Old 17th August 2009, 04:22 PM
Friend

I’m a closet alternative processor that simply hasn’t done enough. I intend doing more Cyanotype and Bromoil, both of which I’ve found to be very enjoyable, but have yet to do sufficient to even start to become proficient. Vandyke Brown’s beckon as well, as does platinum.

I brought a 10x8 specifically to produce large negatives for alternative contact processes, so much get it out into the countryside and start snapping.
Old 17th August 2009, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Ian,

I have 'dabbled' over the years with a number of alt processes. The one's I found most satisfying were Salt, Kallitype and Pt/Pl. These give tones that appeal to me. I would really like to do more.

I read elsewhere with interest about your Pt/Pl process, I have yet to try it but have recently tried the NA2 method which seems a nice process.
Old 17th August 2009, 04:54 PM
Friend

I love platinum and I'm also planning to do some carbon prints soon. Bromoils have always fascinated me, but I've never seen an original.

I have to admit that the article I wrote on APUG is a bit long in the tooth now. I should probably update it and post it here.
Old 17th August 2009, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Leake View Post
I love platinum and I'm also planning to do some carbon prints soon. Bromoils have always fascinated me, but I've never seen an original.

I have to admit that the article I wrote on APUG is a bit long in the tooth now. I should probably update it and post it here.
Please do Ian.

I have never seen, but would like to see a carbon print 'in the flesh'.
Old 17th August 2009, 05:33 PM
Friend

I hide because I constantly think I can do better. Even when I do upload anything to my flickr account it's under the warning that it's merely a Proof and I rarely get around to printing actually final type prints.
I print cyanotype mostly exclusively these days. Occasional B&W a few times a year (at home, own darkroom) and sending off lots of colour film for dev & prints.

I've done Van Dyke Brown before but got told those prints would look better in "my" cyanotype so I don't bother with it any more.
Old 17th August 2009, 05:37 PM
Friend

I have been meaning to try some alternative processes for a long time and I even bought an old 8x10 monorail camera with alternative processes in mind. May be I will attend a workshop if there are any being held in the UK.
Old 17th August 2009, 05:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Leake View Post

Please do, I'm sure that there will be lots of interest.
Old 17th August 2009, 06:36 PM
Friend

Platinum and Palladium, thanks to Ian's workshop . One of the reasons I bought an 8"x10" camera. They are capable of producing a long tonal range which seem to have a wonderful 'glow'.

I haven't seen a carbon print for years but they can be quite beautiful.

Salt prints are beautiful also, especially the work of Ken Keen.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 17th August 2009, 06:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Platinum and Palladium, thanks to (Ian's) workshop . One of the reasons I bought an 8"x10" camera. They are capable of producing a long tonal range which seem to have a wonderful 'glow'.
Thanks for the tip about workshops.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies