Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st August 2010, 08:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edwards View Post
Also started to teach myself platinum and palladium but the UV device I have (a Philips facial solarium purchased from Argos a few years back) just doesn't work at all well with the process so everything is on hold until I can build another one.
It's relatively simple to build a useable UV lightbox. Once you've got the parts collected it takes only a few hours to put one together. I've recently finished my second which incorporates a vacuum frame for big prints.
Old 1st August 2010, 10:16 PM
Friend

The silver print is my favourite alternative process as the digital print is by far the norm used today.
JON.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 29th December 2010, 08:54 PM
New User

Default Lith but looking to do platinum/palladium

I've done some lith, and I would like to try platinum/palladium. I have been working primarily with 120 film, but want to learn how to make digital negatives as I have some digital images that I would like to do as lith prints.
Old 29th December 2010, 09:21 PM
Friend

Default Salt Prints

The great thing about salt prints is their momentary splendour before the colour changes. Even with flash photography using kodachrome or scanning it’s just not the same as the few seconds you view a salt print before it changes. As I have mentioned in articles about this process, it must have been one of Talbot’s greatest regrets, the inability to arrest this form of image and if you study his notebooks, you can see that he keeps experimenting with this process, even after he discovers better halogen chemistry.
Old 29th December 2010, 09:23 PM
Friend

Sorry, I should say more practical halogen chemistry.
Old 29th December 2010, 11:22 PM
Friend

Took a Platinum/Palladium workshop with Tilman Crane a year ago this past November, and it has since been my primary printing method. Tried NA2, Ratio & Dichro, and with guidance from Ian Leake's book have settled on Dichro. Usually print on COT 320, but plan on trying Craig Koshyk method of printing on fixed photo paper.
Old 30th December 2010, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the link Doug it sounds very interesting. If you try it please let us know how you get on.
Old 30th December 2010, 01:01 PM
Friend

Location: I live in central Massachusetts in the town of Barre (sounds like Barry).

Until this past summer cyanotypes had been it for alternative processes but after a John Coffer workshop I am now working on wet plate negative, ambrotypes and tintypes.

Paul
Old 30th December 2010, 04:07 PM
Friend

During the summer I spent a bit of time making albumen prints from negatives exposed in a home-made pinhole camera. The original plan was to make the paper as well, but I ran out of time. I'm now working on that aspect for 2011.

I've scanned and attach the most successful attempt. There's been a bit of printing out over time (see the blotches at top), presumably as it was not fixed adequately. However, I found the fixing stage difficult as what appeared as a reasonable contrast picture faded alarmingy in the fix- the attached was snatched from the fix before it disappeared. I'd be grateful for any advice about this part.

I rarely post prints for view as I never feel they're up to snuff, and that goes for the attached, but in this case it serves to illustrate a point.

I'm currently on pinhole camera marque four- which was built for 4x5 film (previous versions were for 10x8 paper negatives)- but I'm struggling with the exposures.

I am in the process of beginning to do gum prints and would like to try bromoil, but not sure if I have the patience. Earier today, before I read this thread, I had an unsuccessful attempt at a solvent transfer from a photocopy of a B+W print- but I must have had the wrong solvent.

Otherwise I do a lot of lith printing, in fact more lith than plain B+W, so not sure I'd call it alternative.

Anyway, an interesting thread. Wiesmier, if you're still on this thread, was that you interviewed on TV the other nght in programme about the Outer Hebs?

Niall
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Albumen print 2010.pdf (127.7 KB, 299 views)
Old 30th December 2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Bell View Post
... Wiesmier, if you're still on this thread, was that you interviewed on TV the other nght in programme about the Outer Hebs?

Niall
I was indeed, see this thread.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies