Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd October 2010, 01:22 PM
Friend

Default Have I gone wrong?

I recently shot on Delta 100 film....quite a bright day and was using yellow and red filters.
I love the results with this film but here's the crunch!

I did some test prints at college - our tutor likes us to get fairly long exposures so we can dodge and burn if needed.

I stopped down the enlarger lens as far as it would go and was still only reaching a 5 sec exposure!

Have I done something wrong? Can I 'up' the exposure time any?
All the negs I test printed were the same!

RB67 Pro S
Canon EOS 30
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:28 PM
Friend

Laura,

Are your negs on the thin side and are you doing a very small enlargement?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:29 PM
Friend

5 seconds? Bulb too bright, printing an image too small (you know enlarger head too close to the baseboard).... Try a ND filter in the enlarger somewhere...long shot never done it myself, but I can't think of anything else. 5 seconds gives you no time to move for dodging. What's the smallest aperture on the enlarging lens?
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:31 PM
Friend

Aha! These were test prints at 5 x 7 in.

I am so stooopid!!! Of course the time will be different when I enlarge them to 10 x 8.

Doh!

RB67 Pro S
Canon EOS 30
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:45 PM
Friend

Laura,were you printing on the Kentmere fineprint? and if so were you printing a small size,say 5x7? if so then the kentmere paper that I remember was much faster than any other, at least a stop and not suitable for very small enlargements. If you were printing to around 10x8 then it sounds as if your negatives are very thin,either underdevelopment or underexposure, in which case it is just possible that you have done what many of us have done and forgeton the filter factor, with Delta 100 and a red filter the actual film sped would be very low,around 12.5,and the yellow filter around 50, If you are using kentmere paper try changing to Ilford, and try printing larger,.I can,t offhand think of anything else,Richard
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:18 PM
Friend

If you are using a colour head then you can dial in equal amounts of cyan, yellow and magenta, say 50 units. This will dim the light output. You can then add in the same values of yellow and magenta to get back to the contrast you originally had. You will have to do another test strip, but the exposure will be longer.
Richard is quite correct about the difference between Ilford and Kentmere, but I haven't tested the latest (ilford) Kentmere to see if that is still the case.
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
If you are using a colour head then you can dial in equal amounts of cyan, yellow and magenta, say 50 units.
Or use dual filter settings. I'm following Ilford recommendation and it works for other papers as well - Adox Vario Classic and Variotone in my case to get usable printing times for 5x7 paper with my condenser enlarger.

See:http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...8932591755.pdf
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:34 PM
Friend

I was using Ilford MG RC for my 5 x 7 test prints but will be printing my final 10 x 8 images on Kentmere.

I didn't know about filter factors with the Delta - it's the first time I've used it. The negs look okay though.

It is a colour enlarger head.

<off to read up>

RB67 Pro S
Canon EOS 30
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMrs View Post
I was using Ilford MG RC for my 5 x 7 test prints but will be printing my final 10 x 8 images on Kentmere.

I didn't know about filter factors with the Delta - it's the first time I've used it. The negs look okay though.

It is a colour enlarger head.

<off to read up>
The filter factors relate to the paper that your are printing on and the contrast required rather than to the film.
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:58 PM
Friend

Laura, I use all manual cameras, with no built in metering, using a hand held meter, and I must always increase exposure to compensate for light loss due to the filter,with a red I must give 3 stops more exposure and yellow is 1, but you have a ttl metering camera which takes care of the filter for you, Sorry, I am so used to my own cameras I was'nt thinking, but the increase in exposure is what I meant by filter factor,Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies