Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th October 2011, 04:48 AM
Friend

Default Colour paper lifespan

I've just obtained a good selection of darkroom equipment and materials from friends who've had it for a few years but never quite got around to setting up a darkroom. They bought it from an ebay seller about 5 years ago.

Included is a lot of colour paper; Ilford Ilfocolor Deluxe, Kodak Ektacolor Supra II, and Kodak Ektamax. 600 sheets 8x10, 500 sheets 5x7, and 50 sheets 12x16, all in complete sealed boxes. The Ilford paper has use by dates of 1998 and 1999, no dates I can see on the Kodak.

I've never tried colour printing, but I wondered about having a go. Before I waste my time, is this paper likely to be any good 10 or more years past its use by date?

Thanks,
Ian
Old 26th October 2011, 05:14 AM
Friend

Ian,

From my experience I would say unless this paper has been kept in ideal conditions (frozen / chilled) it is highly likely it will not be at its best and will have degraded. The same can be said for any old colour chemicals you may also have - especially the developer. If you do try the paper out use fresh chemicals; I would buy the smallest kit possible from one of our sponsors, and do some testing.
Test a few sheets from each make of paper and see what you get. You never know some of it may have been kept in a freezer or fridge.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 26th October 2011, 07:53 PM
Friend

Recently with colour printing I have been like the "road to hell" - paved with good intentions but I haven't really got started again. I did notice that my 5x7 Kodak Supra Endura which must now be about 6-7 yrs old but is later than Supra II had an off white/ivory border.

Apparently it should be bright white. The one print I did looked reasonable and I think it could be better with a slight change in filtration but whether age has taken away the ability to get a really good print I don't know.

You may be lucky with your stuff but don't expect too much. There are it seems to me to be three issues with RA4 printing on a "try it and see if you like it" start up:

1. Getting the right colour balance most times without an analyser( extra money) unless you are happy to waste a good deal of paper.

2. Buying the chemicals and then possibly wasting them unless you are sure that RA4 is for you( extra money)

3. Finding a safelight such as a DUKA 10 or 50(extra money)

If you decide that RA4 is not your thing then the DUKA will be unnecessary but you should be able to re-sell

On the other hand Matt at Ag sells the Kodak kits at very good prices and they can be used at room temp so tray processing can be done and if you like learning by doing then you might easily use most of the chemicals you buy and paper you've already got.

Some can even do RA4 in total darkness but that would be too much for me although a Nova Quad processor might just about make it possible.

Sorry for the long ramble but I just thought I'd set out what I think is involved cost-wise.

If you have a go then I think it will prove to be an enjoyable experience even if you don't carry on but like all worthwhile education it costs

Mike
Old 26th October 2011, 09:43 PM
Friend

My experience echoes that of Neil. Colour paper of that age is likely to give dull, flat, muddy results unless you are very lucky. Do you perhaps know anyone who can try a few sheets out for you?
Certainly, I wouldn't want all that paper to go to waste, but only buy the smallest RA4 kit available if you do try it.
Old 27th October 2011, 08:20 AM
Friend

That's disappointing, but I suspected as much. The paper's not been refrigerated for the last 5 years or so, before that there's no way to know.

To be honest I tend to mainly shoot B&W and colour transparency, so don't have a lot of colour negatives to print. If the paper's age makes it suspect then I think I'll spend my limited funds (time and money) on lith materials rather than invest in learning RA-4.

Thanks for your advice. I'm happy to post a box, or several, of the paper to anyone for the cost of postage, or in person if you are in Surrey or South West London any time.

Ian
Old 14th December 2011, 08:11 AM
Friend

Hi Stan160

My experiences with outdated paper -> never be so much satisfied like with fresh-one...

Results are vary...like others said...like color shift or low contrast...
It depends on storage...and this is color paper not the B&W one...B&W last more...

I'm doing other things with outdated paper...like "different" processes...for example experiments with Bleach bypass, Accleration or Maximization process in RA-4...I love this type results...and outdated paper brings something different to this photos than new one...

Red Ostravak
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies