Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd July 2012, 07:12 PM
Friend

Unhappy Paterson Theilgaard analyser

Hio all,

Fingers crossed my attempt at using a search on this forum and mr google hasn't been flawed in not coming up with any results on this...

New to colour and during first days play I tried a Paterson Theilgaard colour analyser kit which when tried produced highly magenta cast prints. Has anyone had any experience with this for any tips or help in letting the penny drop on my issue. Prints done using other methods following this were fine so I'm not suspecting contamination (or should I still be?)

Equip used:
LPL enlarger colour head with no filtration other than the set of RGB filters from the kit,
Fuji CA pre-cut sheets,
kodak RA/LU dev&blix,
Theilgaard set: little exposure chart, diffuser, grenish (from memory) filter it says to add, and the RGB set of filters.

Thanks all in advance.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:35 PM
Friend

Had to google for the Theilgaard system - Judging by the articles over at .photomemorabilia.co.uk, it would appear to be an additive system marketed during the 1960's. Being so old, I wonder if the filters have faded..

As you already have a colour head, I would have thought any other system would have been redundant. I'd suggest getting hold of a set of Kodak viewing filters and using the built in filters of the LPL to correct for any colour cast.
Old 3rd July 2012, 02:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Had to google for the Theilgaard system - Judging by the articles over at .photomemorabilia.co.uk, it would appear to be an additive system marketed during the 1960's. Being so old, I wonder if the filters have faded..

As you already have a colour head, I would have thought any other system would have been redundant. I'd suggest getting hold of a set of Kodak viewing filters and using the built in filters of the LPL to correct for any colour cast.
Thank you paulc, I struck out alltogether in my search. Yes from the little instructions sheet you do 3 exposures with a blue, green and red filter. I hoped to be able to use it on a second enlarger which lacked the colour filters. It is highly possible the filters have faded, I may have a little experimentation in this respect. Thanks again.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:28 PM
Friend

Your best friend in the darkroom for colour printing is a set of Kodak viewing filters - they come up on ebay from time to time. It helps asses a print and tells you how you need to adjust your filtration.
Old 9th July 2012, 10:14 PM
Friend

I'd second Matt's recommendation with two caveats:

1. You need to be fairly sensitive to small changes in the "look" that the small changes to the viewing filter make to the print you are trying to correct. My wife for instance is far better in recognising small changes than I am.

2. The trick with the filters is to quickly move the filters across the print, then away and back again and rely on your initial judgement of what looks right. If you leave the filter in front of the print for more than an instance then the eyes "adapt" and you lose the effect of the filters that tells you how much to change filter setting.

Mike
Old 10th July 2012, 06:47 AM
Friend

Thanks Mike, will take these on board and try and keep an eye out on ebay.
Old 10th July 2012, 07:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSap View Post
Thanks Mike, will take these on board and try and keep an eye out on ebay.
There is one here.
Old 11th July 2012, 08:23 PM
Friend

That certainly is top stuff Dave, thank you most kindly.

Tags
cast, magenta, theilgaard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies