Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th September 2012, 09:34 AM
Friend

Default Kayfro Black Prince Enlarger

I have recently decided to resurrect my late father's old enlarger -- a Kayfro Black Prince. The base bears the model number C314. My father used the enlarger for many years but it has not been employed for the last 30. I always understood it to be of good quality -- it certainly produced many exhibition prints. It has a Ross 9cm Resolux lens.

Upon cleaning, I found it to be in excellent condition but was mystified as to the vignetting at the edges of the illuminated area. It was at this point that, upon reading the promotional booklet that my father had retained, it became apparent that there should be three elements to the condenser. Inexplicably, there are only two. Assuming there was a third (the mounting for one is there), I cannot imagine why it is missing. So far, I have been unable to find it amongst the boxes of darkroom equipment that I have inherited.

Does anybody have any experience of these enlargers? An Internet search has uncovered very little about them. I suppose, ideally, that I need to find somebody with a similar enlarger that they wish to sell. In the event of me not finding the original condenser, I cannot think of any other way of acquiring one -- assuming I am correct in believing it to be missing in the first place!

I would be most grateful for any guidance.
Old 18th September 2012, 08:56 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU. I hope someone here can help. Sadly I cannot.

Seems strange that this bit went missing. Big assumption on my part but it seems that your late father was quite meticulous if he retained the booklet so unlikely he'd have let the bit go astray if there is a third bit.

A puzzle which I hope can be solved

Mike
Old 18th September 2012, 10:32 PM
Friend

Thank you Mike for your comments. I think my second post indicates that I might have solved the problem and the enlarger that served my father so well could be heading for a new lease of life. Although happy with a digital Leica RF, I broke out Dad's Rollei TLRs and it wasn't long before one thing led to another and I decided to have a shot at my own D&P work. Hence the attempt to get the enlarger operating again. One of my earliest childhood memories was the sound of the enlarger foot-switch going as I tried to get to sleep! Dad was a noted photographer in his day but one would have to be quite 'mature' to remember him as I am now seven years into my own retirement! My next step is to establish a darkroom in the loft. Watch this space!
Old 19th September 2012, 07:12 AM
Friend

Welcome to Fadu, I can't help with the enlarger, but the Ross lens is superb, I had one a while ago and it was the equal of any of the top of the range enlarging lenses,also the Rolleis, the rolls royce of TLR cameras, I look forward to seeing some of the results
Richard
Old 19th September 2012, 08:02 AM
Friend

I fear it was late at night when I sent my last post and I now realise that the 'second post' to which I referred had not been sent! I had intended to add to my first post by stating that I thought I had solved the problem. My father embarked upon colour printing in the 70s and had the enlarger modified accordingly with a filter drawer inserted between the hood and the negative carrier. The work was done professionally and blended in very well with the original structure. Eventually, I remembered what had taken place and I removed the filter drawer. The hood then fitted perfectly a-top the carrier and all signs of vignetting disappeared, indeed, there is hardly room for another condenser and I now doubt if a third condenser ever existed. If it did, I would have found it amongst the other items I salvaged from the darkroom. I have inserted a test negative and the definition is superb.

Mike commented upon my father's apparent meticulousness. I can add to that by questioning whether that was the correct word to describe him. When I opened the enlarger drawer, I found two full sets of his false teeth! Ebay?!!

In reply to Richard, I would add that this is my first venture into D&P so don't hold your breath! My determination to carry on the family tradition of doing one's own processing does not in any way imbibe me with Dad's talent. It will be a long hard road! I have first to make the darkroom but I see that I have inherited much equipment that will still be serviceable and probably, in some cases, of better quality than the modern equivalents. The photographic world that was so much part of my childhood has long gone and I cannot begin to think of how Dad would view the digital age. I can only assume that he would have been very much a part of it, always having been ready to adopt the latest technology. I have been very carefull to keep the two Rolleis in good condition. They will have had a busy life, Dad being a pro' as well as being active in the amateur/exhibition world (I think he tended to keep one for colour and one for B&W) but he looked after them and they are practically unmarked despite their 1960/62 vintage. I found some rolls of Tri-X that had been sealed in a drawer for squillions of years. I fear they will be a bit of a disaster but I'm running one through to see what happens. In the meantime, I have some new rolls of Ilford.

I must add my thanks for the information provided in response to my post. I really am looking forward to getting those darkroom smells up my nose again but am less confident of the results!
Old 19th September 2012, 12:31 PM
Friend

Remember that if you need any help or advice then post here and there is bound to be someone who can help, in the meantime the best of luck, and let us know how it all goes.
Richard
Old 19th September 2012, 07:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andamanaffair View Post

When I opened the enlarger drawer, I found two full sets of his false teeth! Ebay?!!
That's easily explained. Colour printing was, as I understand things, quite difficult and a bit frustrating back in the 70s. He simply used the teeth to threaten the enlarger when it wasn't producing good colour prints.

I'd have done the same

Mike
Old 19th September 2012, 07:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andamanaffair View Post
there is hardly room for another condenser and I now doubt if a third condenser ever existed. If it did
It didn't! I can't see how it would work with three.

http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/world_i...s/image005.jpg

Steve.
Old 19th September 2012, 07:57 PM
Friend

In response to Mike's comments regarding colour printing, I can confirm that problems were encountered. I was well away from home by then but I understand my mother was roped in. She later told me that if anything proved their marriage, colour printing was it!

In response to Steve, I can only quote a heading from the Black Prince promo' leaflet ---- '3 - piece Condenser' and an accompanying photograph of a condenser with three elements. If I can work out how to include a scan of the leaflet, I shall do so!
Old 20th September 2012, 05:07 AM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, you certainly have come to the right place for help and advice. This forum is a mine of helpful friendly information.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies