Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th March 2014, 05:35 PM
Friend

Default Rankin ?

Watched this on iPlayer last night:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...llywood_Stars/

I'm not a Rankin fan but then I'm not into contemporary fashion photography either. Just wondering about others opinions.

p.s. he is using film.
Old 11th March 2014, 05:25 PM
Friend

Have a look at this thread and see what the consensus was.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ight=hollywood

I enjoyed it, and some of the other Rankin documentaries, particularly the recent one about facing up to death.

Nick
Old 11th March 2014, 06:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
Have a look at this thread and see what the consensus was.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ight=hollywood

I enjoyed it, and some of the other Rankin documentaries, particularly the recent one about facing up to death.

Nick
I didn't realise it was a repeat and had been discussed before.
Old 11th March 2014, 11:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
Watched this on iPlayer last night:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...llywood_Stars/

I'm not a Rankin fan but then I'm not into contemporary fashion photography either. Just wondering about others opinions.

p.s. he is using film.
Just watched this, quite interesting.

Looked for the most part he was using a phaseone digital back on one of; a RB or RZ67, a blad and a modern mamiya645/phase AF body. But he does shoot at least a frame of 10x8 on a sinar two.
Old 12th March 2014, 07:53 AM
Friend

I've seen him using a Contax 645 in the past, as well, though that was probably digital.

Nick
Old 12th March 2014, 07:54 AM
Friend

Oh, and a Leica S2.

Nick
Old 13th March 2014, 09:30 PM
Friend

Oh I dunno, I think he's starting to get on my nerves.
I dunno if its me wanting him to shoot film and being disappointed that he doesn't, or that his photo films seem more about self promotion than the art.

I enjoyed the first one I saw during which he tried to recreate Cecil Beatons Hat Box on 10x8 but wimped out with a digi version just in case, tbf he did mostly shoot film for that project though.
Then I saw a piece where he was shooting nude polaroids of his wife for whiskey bottles or something, which did have some interesting content...

If he's just shooting digital I'm gonna struggle to muster up any kind of effort to watch this one.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnX View Post
Oh I dunno, I think he's starting to get on my nerves.
I dunno if its me wanting him to shoot film and being disappointed that he doesn't, or that his photo films seem more about self promotion than the art.

I enjoyed the first one I saw during which he tried to recreate Cecil Beatons Hat Box on 10x8 but wimped out with a digi version just in case, tbf he did mostly shoot film for that project though.
Then I saw a piece where he was shooting nude polaroids of his wife for whiskey bottles or something, which did have some interesting content...

If he's just shooting digital I'm gonna struggle to muster up any kind of effort to watch this one.
I can understand the sentiments, being posted as they are on a film forum, but I think you'll find that most working photographers use digital now. That's just the way it is.

As for Rankin, whatever you think of the man himself, at least he's promoting photography with his various documentaries, and is far less self-promotional than a lot of fashion photographers.

(God forbid, Brian Cox could have been a photographer instead of a physicist, although he'd probably go in for self portraits..........)

I personally think any photography - digital or film - on television is better than none.
Old 14th March 2014, 09:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
As for Rankin, whatever you think of the man himself, at least he's promoting photography with his various documentaries, and is far less self-promotional than a lot of fashion photographers.
Can you name one who is less self-promotional?
Old 14th March 2014, 11:43 PM
Friend

whether you love him or hate him Rankin is a clever photographer he knows how to be successful in the dog eat dog world of professional photography ,I would guess he knows how to shoot dev and print film ,but digital is king in his trade ,when I see those screens and keyboards it turns me cold ,but I have very little interest in computers and what they can do ,but in a funny way digital has made me in to an artisan and a trendy artist type ,and instead of being old fashion I am now trendy ,cool and interesting. when you use a digital camera nobody says anything but when you use a film camera some people will be interested and others will take the piss ,but at lest I am an individual and cool man...

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies