Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd August 2014, 11:59 AM
Friend

well I am going for three photographers they are David bailey Terence Donovan Brian Duffy the famous cockney trinity, and if I can have a time machine I would go back to the swinging 60s and I would like to hit the town with them three ,I can imagine it ,me David Terence and Brian a couple of dolly birds one on each arm ,what a night that would be and then hang out with them for a couple of days , ...The only one left now is Bailey and I don't think that he goes up west with a couple of dolly birds anymore ,so I would like to hang about in his studio, watching him working and listening to the story's of his life .as photographers go he is the only one that I have taken an interest in ,the best photographer we have (my opinion). the only culture I ever had when I was a kid was the stuff growing on the toilet wall ,so no posh photographers for me ....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 23rd August 2014, 03:43 PM
Friend

Paul, have you seen the film about David Bailey? It's called "We'll take Manhattan", and it's very good. It's about his early career going to New York to do a shoot for Vogue. I was given a copy on DVD, but I expect you would get it from one of the big online DVD stores.
Alex
Old 23rd August 2014, 04:03 PM
Friend

how about Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, Cecil Beaton, Irving Penn and Peter Henry Emerson. I think they would all make for very interesting people to meet.
Old 23rd August 2014, 06:43 PM
Friend

Penn is actually a real favourite of mine. In his portrait work he seemed to make a connection with his subjects, yet the photographs still manage to be technically perfect and very graphic. There's one of Picasso which is quie striking.
And no, sadly I didn't know who Charles Lutwidge Dodgson was until I googled him (that would be Lewis Carroll, for the benefit of others like me).
Old 23rd August 2014, 08:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
And no, sadly I didn't know who Charles Lutwidge Dodgson was until I googled him (that would be Lewis Carroll, for the benefit of others like me).
Not a lot of people know he was an acomplished photographer amongst his many skills.

Quote:
HIAWATHA’S PHOTOGRAPHING

Lewis Carroll

From his shoulder Hiawatha Took the camera of rosewood, Made of sliding, folding rosewood; Neatly put it all together.
In its case it lay compactly, Folded into nearly nothing; But he
opened out the hinges, pushed and pulled the joints and hinges,
till it looked all squares and oblongs, like a complicated figure In
the second book of Euclid.
This he perched upon a tripod, crouched beneath its dusky cover, stretched his hand, enforcing silence said, “Be motionless, I beg you!” Mystic, awful was the process.

All the family in order,sat before him for their pictures:
Each in turn as he was taken, volunteered his own suggestions, his ingenious suggestions.

First the Governor, the Father: He suggested velvet curtains looped about a massy pillar and the corner of a table, of a rosewood dining-table.
He would hold a scroll of something, hold it firmly in his lefthand; he would keep his right-hand buried (Like Napoleon) in his waistcoat. He would contemplate the distance with a look of pensive meaning, as of ducks that die in tempests. Grand, heroic was the notion: Yet the picture failed entirely: Failed because he moved a little, moved because he couldn’t help it.

Next, his better half took courage; She would have her picture taken. She came dressed beyond description, dressed in jewels and satin far too gorgeous for an empress. Gracefully she sat down sideways, with a simper scarcely human, holding in her hand a bouquet rather larger than a cabbage. All the while that she was sitting, still the lady chattered, chattered like a monkey in the forest. “Am I sitting still?” she asked him. “Is my face enough in profile? Shall I hold the bouquet higher? Will it come into the picture?”
And the picture failed completely.

Next the Son, the Stunning Cantab: He suggested curves of beauty, curves pervading all his figure, which the eye might follow onward, till they centred in the breast-pin, centred in the golden breast-pin. He had learnt it all from Ruskin (Author of “The Stones of Venice”, “Seven Lamps of Architecture”, “Modern Painters”, and some others); And perhaps he had not fully Understood his author’s meaning; but, whatever was the reason, all was fruitless, as the picture ended in an utter failure.

Next to him the eldest daughter: She suggested very little, only asked if he would take her with her look of “passive beauty”. Her idea of passive beauty was a squinting of the left-eye, was a drooping of the right-eye, was a smile that went up sideways to the corner of the nostrils.
Hiawatha, when she asked him, took no notice of the question, Looked as if he hadn’t heard it; but, when pointedly appealed to, smiled in his peculiar manner, coughed and said it “didn’t matter”, bit his lip and changed the subject. Nor in this was he mistaken, as the picture failed completely.

So in turn the other sisters. Last, the youngest son was taken: Very rough and thick his hair was, very round and red his face was, very dusty was his jacket, very fidgety his manner. And his overbearing sisters called him names he disapproved of: Called him Johnny, “Daddy’s Darling”, called him Jacky, “Scrubby School-boy”. And, so awful was the picture, in comparison the others seemed, to one’s bewildered fancy, to have partially succeeded.

Finally my Hiawatha Tumbled all the tribe together, (“Grouped” is
not the right expression), and, as happy chance would have it did at last obtain a picture where the faces all succeeded: Each came out a perfect likeness. Then they joined and all abused it, unrestrainedly abused it, As the worst and ugliest picture they could possibly have dreamed of. “Giving one such strange expressions, sullen, stupid, pert expressions. Really anyone would take us (Anyone that did not know us) for the most unpleasant people!” (Hiawatha seemed to think so, seemed to think it not unlikely.) All together rang their voices, angry, loud, discordant voices, as of dogs that howl in concert, as of cats that wail in chorus.

But my Hiawatha’s patience, his politeness and his patience, unaccountably had vanished, and he left that happy party. Neither did he leave them slowly, with the calm deliberation, the intense deliberation of a photographic artist: But he left them in a hurry, left them in a mighty hurry, stating that he would not stand it, stating in emphatic language what he’d be before he’d stand it. Hurriedly he packed his boxes: Hurriedly the porter trundled on a barrow all his boxes: Hurriedly he took his ticket: Hurriedly the train received him: Thus departed Hiawatha.
Old 23rd August 2014, 08:06 PM
Friend

thanks for that Alex ,yes I have seen it, the other one I like is blow up very loosely based on bailey ,the bit that was true was the propeller bit .What a life that man has had ,and he sees it as it is .the modern replacement for bailey is I think Rankin he is a very clever man and to stay at the top he has to have a lot of things going on at once ,its different world today ,very much business orientated .maybe I should have said Rankin he seems a nice person with a sense of humour and he has a beautiful wife Tuuli ,they both dog lovers like myselth

essexcockney.com
Old 24th August 2014, 03:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Penn is actually a real favourite of mine. In his portrait work he seemed to make a connection with his subjects, yet the photographs still manage to be technically perfect and very graphic. There's one of Picasso which is quie striking.
I'm thinking Henry Lartigue and Emmanuel Radnitzky too, we can get them all and have a FADU historic photographers weekend party.
Old 24th August 2014, 11:21 AM
Friend

Funny you should mention Lartigue. At the moment I'm spending a lot of my time shooting stereograms. I even sent a few as my offering on the last round of the print exchange. Part of my interest came from seeing Lartigues own early stereo work. He carried a stereo camera everywhere, and even managed 'street photography' in stereo.
Old 24th August 2014, 04:10 PM
Friend

Tomorrow I'm meeting Irving Penn, we're gonna have latte then shoot some occupational portraits, fashion and a bit of Clinique for Vogue.
Then in the evening I'm going round to Robs for a big spliff, a bit of still life and some male nudes :/...

don't wait up..
Old 24th August 2014, 04:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnX View Post
Tomorrow I'm meeting Irving Penn, we're gonna have latte then shoot some occupational portraits, fashion and a bit of Clinique for Vogue.
Then in the evening I'm going round to Robs for a big spliff, a bit of still life and some male nudes :/...

don't wait up..
Are you sure you haven't had one already
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies