Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th April 2018, 10:50 AM
Friend

Fuji Photo Film is a huge company and its business model relies on volume sales. This means that they have invested heavily in, amongst other things, production emulsion testing. I can attest that their facilities are first-class - and obviously costly. The use of 120 rollfilm is declining and I am not surprised that Fuji management regards it as an uneconomic product. Dropping it is a shame, nonetheless.
Old 6th April 2018, 05:22 PM
Friend

Default Mad man

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
With the all the new film makes coming to the market and the increased use of film. I don't understand why Fuji would want to stop production of it's film stocks. Unless they have a mad man loose in the boardroom
The mad man may well be in the guise of an accountant who has his/her eye on a nice bonus if he/she manages to cut the overheads of the company.

Even with an apparent increase in film sales, the coating of film, the film itself and make up of the actual coating (silver content etc), the salaries of the employees working in the film section can be cut at a single stroke and concentrate on the digital side. All in all, the film side must cost a lot of money for a small return.

Accountants have a lot to answer for where shutting otherwise viable businesses are concerned. So long as they get their big fat pay check, and bonus, they don't care.
Old 6th April 2018, 06:24 PM
Friend

Hi John,
Well, I am an accountant. ;-) You are right, especially on stupid bonus schemes, but it concerns the managing directors and the board. I rather like the look of the real old silver films, but the Acros was special and a lot of photographers liked it very much for the ease to handle difficult light conditions. It's sad, also considering that Fuji is the only company making world class slide films.
Frank
Old 6th April 2018, 07:21 PM
Friend

The Fuji announcement was promised by 6 April and Fuji would appear to have been as good as its word - both in terms of the date and the loss of Acros. As the person on Photrio who posted today's announcement has not bothered to translate from the Japanese and others have concentrated on berating Fuji I cannot say when production will stop but unlike the Fuji "pre-announcement" so to speak, there would not now appear to be any date from which it will no longer be produced. There appears to be some suggestion that production ceases in a week's time and then stocks last until it is all gone.

I myself have bought up all U.K retailers' stock plus a 40ft refridgerated container that floats. I estimate that with a small out-board motor I will be just off Miami in about a year. A small stall on the beach will then net me enough money to buy U.S citizenship and enter the race for the White House.

The wife is behind me on this but insists that I deal with the U.K. White House first. I call it my Greenhouse and it needs painting

Mike
Old 17th November 2018, 01:00 AM
Friend

Acros was special, and I still have about sixty rolls of 120 as well as about 20 rolls of 35 bought at $1.95 years ago. The high prices made me stop buying more several years back, but I sure am sad if this is true and Fuji is out of the game.

It takes a long while to get familiar with a film stock and how to develop it, and disappearing stock is a major disappointment. Materials disappearance is why I have mostly abandoned the darkroom, but while I shoot 85% digital now, news like this still makes me sad, very sad.
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:06 PM
Friend

https://emulsive.org/articles/news/b...ng-autumn-2019

Not sure if the above link will work.
Acros 11 is being released in Japan. The article I read said it was to be released in Japan first.

If the link does not work just put Acros 11 into your search engine.

Cheers.
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:08 PM
Friend

“Fujifilm says it will be launching Neopan 100 Acros II in 35mm and 120 medium format exclusively in Japan this fall before bringing it to international markets afterward based on photographer demand.”

Just googled (other search engines are available) but can’t find any news since June but AnalogueWonderland are advertising it as available soon

https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/pro...colour-iso-100
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies