Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th March 2018, 08:02 PM
Friend

Default The Man Who Shot Tutankhamun BBC4 11:00pm

The programme incorporates the photography of Harry Burton who made the original pictures when the tomb was opened in 1922. I have a feeling this has already been mentioned here on FADU when it was originally shown in March of 2017 but a search produced nothing.

It looks as if an attempt is made to re-create pictures in the same way using the kind of camera (LF) Harry Burton used. How much of the 60 minutes is about photography may be another matter but it might be worth a look or a "record"

Mike
Old 7th March 2018, 09:01 PM
Friend

Thanks Mike, even though this is past my bedtime!!
Early start usually, and no VCR these days to record stuff to-never-watch-later.
Old 7th March 2018, 09:48 PM
Friend

Skellum, I hope to watch it myself tonight live( I'll be recording UEFA highlights instead) and if I manage to do this, I'l try and give some comments on FADU tomorrow

Mike
Old 8th March 2018, 09:21 AM
Friend

Saw it when it was first on, it was an interesting watch.
If I remember rightly, there was no whimping out on equipment and materials, it was 10x8 glass plates all the way....lol
Old 8th March 2018, 02:55 PM
Friend

Yes it is well worth a look which now has to be on BBC iPlayer, I think. No doubt the programme will be re-cycled by BBC at sometime in the future but no indication of when this might be, as far as I could see.

It does concentrate on the photographic methods etc of the original photographer, Harry Burton and takes a novel but authentic approach to re-creating those conditions.

Mike
Old 8th March 2018, 09:34 PM
Friend

Default On BBC iPlayer

Hi,

We found it; on for another 29 days I think.

Robert
Old 8th March 2018, 10:46 PM
Administrator

For those without access to iPlayer, or for later (assuming it does not get taken down - although it was uploaded 12 months ago): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4spSKJ9mc8
Old 9th March 2018, 01:14 AM
Friend

In the youtube presentation note the double exposure at about 22:35. Unless, of course the usual dark slide convention - white side = unexposed, black side = exposed - has been flipped. No one does that do they?
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 9th March 2018, 09:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
In the youtube presentation note the double exposure at about 22:35. Unless, of course the usual dark slide convention - white side = unexposed, black side = exposed - has been flipped. No one does that do they?

I met someone who did, and they were teaching others!
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 16th June 2020, 12:06 PM
Friend

This programme is being broadcast again, Thursday 18/06/2020 at 23:00 BST.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies