Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th June 2020, 11:51 AM
Friend

Default Well priced rain cover for your camera

Having just received an ebay item from China, I just want to say how pleased I am with it!

I love walking in the rain, even though we're not getting a lot of it lately.

But until now, my film cameras when they went out with me, were generally hidden under my rain coat and protected by a plastic carrier bag, when the camera was brought out to use.

Well I finally got around to buying something more suitable for the purpose on ebay, from China, and it has just arrived. It is very well made and sold by many sellers for great prices if you are willing to wait a few weeks, or for a few more quid I'm sure, from a UK seller. (Note that the link isn't where I got mine from, but shows an exactly same item. and it's now a couple of quid cheaper than the one I bought!) It's also listed for a few camera brands, but I can't see why it wouldn't work with 99.9% of cameras, film or digital.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproo...gAAOSw5oher5-2

Terry S
Old 16th June 2020, 07:31 PM
Friend

This is good info! Thanks Terry. I went to Iceland with my daughter last September (seems like years ago now), and took along a Rolleiflex 3.5C, an Isolette, and my daughter's Olympus Pen digital. We hiked every day, and being Iceland it rained half the time. Stupid me didn't realize my camera backpack had a rain cover tucked in a pocket on the bottom...duh! Every evening the cameras were drying out near the heating rads in the B'nBs. We're lucky they all still work. Anyway, I came back from that trip and promptly bought a weather sealed Pentax dslr. But honestly, it was great to shoot film there, and I got some terrific images, esp. from the Rollei. I'd actually prefer to take a film camera on most foul weather hikes.

I will take a look at those covers and order one. I've been eyeing up similar ones on B&H but the prices are a bit up there for something so simple.
Old 17th June 2020, 11:28 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
I will take a look at those covers and order one. I've been eyeing up similar ones on B&H but the prices are a bit up there for something so simple.
It sounds like you had a good trip to Iceland Svend. I went a number of years ago and had a good time, and would love to go back, if only my mobility wasn't so bad now.

As for the camera rain cover prices when comparing my link to shop prices, I find this a lot with non branded equipment. I now always try to compare, and often find that the same item can be found being sold for a lot less, if you are willing to wait a few weeks. I don't bother so much with much cheaper items, but sometimes one can make a huge saving!

Terry S
Old 17th June 2020, 12:40 PM
Friend

Yes, Iceland was an incredible trip. A photographer's dream destination, truly. Especially if you like waterfalls! There are apparently 10,000 of them there. Pretty amazing.

We had an amusing encounter with a middle-aged German couple at an out-of the way place. The husband and I were shooting a waterfall (what else? ), and his wife approached my daughter who was patiently waiting some distance away. "You and I have the same problem", she says..."Every waterfall a picture!" (eye roll and deep sigh )

Hope you get to go back soon.
Old 17th June 2020, 04:22 PM
Friend

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a cheapskate here. I use a clear domestic plastic kitchen bin liner with the corner cut off to a size that fits over the lens. I use an elastic band to secure it over the lens and use a lens hood to keep rain off the lens. Small, light, almost free and easy to replace when it wears out! I'll post some pictures later.
Old 17th June 2020, 04:52 PM
Friend

Home-made camera cover. It works better with an SLR as the rangefinder isn't great to use through plastic but it does work and is great for emergencies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera cover 1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	3796  
Old 17th June 2020, 06:43 PM
Friend

Years ago I would wrap my camera in a plastic carrier bag, just a hole for the viewfinder, and the bag taped around the lens, many a pro sports photographer would work that way, I still always take a plastic bag and roll of tape with me , just in case, and never got a camera wet yet.
Richard
Old 17th June 2020, 07:44 PM
Friend

I have two rain covers for my 5x4

A lovely Camera Essentials rain cover, which cost a bomb and stays at home because it is too big.

I have a much more affordable Tesco carrier bag which I pop over the camera while it rains and takes up almost no room in my camera bag.

While both the camera and lens are fairly waterproof, trying to keep the front filter dry during extended periods is unachievable, so the bag works well.

Martin
Old 17th June 2020, 08:02 PM
Friend

I used a plastic bag type cover made by Optech when following road cycling at the Commonwealth Games. The cover worked well, until I had to get the camera out to change film. It’s amazing how much rain sticks to a poly bag! The other issue can be condensation, if your hands are in the bag for a while, or you go in somewhere warm to change film. You have to be very careful when it comes time to remove the camera.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 18th June 2020, 12:17 PM
Friend

A carrier bag never even entered my mind for some reason, for I too am a 'cheap as chips' person, who is not to worried about aesthetics too much. But, this made to measure item is a well made piece of equipment, at a very good price, so I am very happy with it.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies