Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th October 2021, 06:39 PM
Friend

Hi!
Not sure whether I may participate, simply because of lack of time. But concerning the rules I once saw a version, when there were six participants and their repsective negative was sent from one participant to the next. Then you had six prints of the same negative, instead of working in pairs. Just an idea.
Frank
Old 20th October 2021, 08:35 PM
Friend

Good evening Frank.
I hadn't come across the idea of a 'serial' negative exchange.
That is, a single negative being passed from person to person with each taking turns printing it.
Whilst interesting, it makes me wonder about time scale: How long per person, how long for the whole process? Six months? More?
I suspect enthusiasm might wane, and how disappointing if the negative was lost or damaged half-way through.
As an alternative I could imagine a volunteer making 6 identical (or close as) negatives in a popular format and having 6 participants make their own versions. I'd even be game to make 6 negatives in 5x4 or 6x6 for such an adventure, however: it would need to be a damn good image to justify the effort being put in!
For now, I think the idea of paired participants is a good, easy start.
Old 21st October 2021, 04:29 AM
Friend

> How long per person, how long for the whole process? Six months? More? I suspect enthusiasm might wane, and how disappointing if the negative was lost or damaged half-way through.

I see the same problems with that idea.

I recommend at least starting as simple as possible. May be only 35 mm negatives allowed? (Or is somebody interstet not making 35mm?)
Pairing seems necessary, because we have to send things forth and back.

We may add an optional rule: If somebody sees the pair and wish to make an own try, we may send the negativ to him.
Old 21st October 2021, 08:56 AM
Friend

Good Morning Uwe.
I've just looked back at the last few print exchanges. Participation has settled at 10-12 regular participants. I suspect a negative exchange will attract excatly the same folk, but not all of them as time might be an issue for some. Perhaps just half a dozen people will ask to be involved.
I also notice that the Print exchanges feature mostly 35mm, with some 6x6 and a little 5x4.That surprised me- I thought most of us had moved to the larger formats. Personally I barely use 35mm anymore, as I just prefer the smoother, richer tonality of a bigger negative.
However, I suspect we can probably all do 35mm? Certainly based on the print exchanges it would suit most potential participants.
'Pairing' is not only the easiest way to track who has posted and who is yet to return, but I think there's an benefit in the learning process.
By the end of the round each participant will have two pairs of prints; his own negative printed by himself and his partner, and his partner's negative also printed by himself and the partner.
It should give the clearest idea of differences in style and approach, rather than mixing it up.
If we have: A sends to B, B sends to F, F sends to C etc I think you lose some of that clarity.

Of course, at any point at all any member is free to contact any other member to arrange a private negative exchange.
Perhaps if anyone is doing this they could tell us about their experiences?
Old 21st October 2021, 11:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
...concerning the rules I once saw a version, when there were six participants and their repsective negative was sent from one participant to the next. Then you had six prints of the same negative, instead of working in pairs. Just an idea.
Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Good evening Frank.
I hadn't come across the idea of a 'serial' negative exchange.
That is, a single negative being passed from person to person with each taking turns printing it.
Whilst interesting, it makes me wonder about time scale...

For now, I think the idea of paired participants is a good, easy start.
I too have read the threads where one negative gets passed around, with the completed prints uploaded to a certain gallery. Not sure I could handle the wait to see all the prints uploaded.

I have also read about a 'camera swap', where one camera with one film in it, is being passed around the world, with each participant taking just the one(?) exposure each before posting it to the next person.

It appears to still be going years after it first started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
I also notice that the Print exchanges feature mostly 35mm, with some 6x6 and a little 5x4.That surprised me- I thought most of us had moved to the larger formats.

However, I suspect we can probably all do 35mm? Certainly based on the print exchanges it would suit most potential participants.

If we have: A sends to B, B sends to F, F sends to C etc I think you lose some of that clarity.
Your finding also surprised me Skellum, I too thought that most prints were made from MF negatives, but I have 35mm gear (that doesn't get as much use as maybe it should) so would be happy to shoot a roll in this format.

As for the 'A sends to B, B sends to F, F sends to C etc', well I too think it wouldn't have the same feel to it and with immediate negative swaps, you do have two people interpreting the same two negatives.

As for my experiences with the swaps, I always found that they went fine and found it interesting to see other peoples interpretations of both one of mine and one of their negatives.

Bring it on!!!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies