Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th January 2021, 08:06 PM
Friend

I would recommend that you check the weight of your camera, equipped with lens and film holder, before you choose a tripod. You also need to know the weight of the head you want to use. The legs must be rated to carry the combined weight of camera and head. The heads also have weight limits for the cameras they can hold securely. Once you take these factors into account, the range of suitable models narrows considerably.
I had thought the camera you have is metal, which would mean it’s quite heavy. If it is wooden, it will be much lighter. I use a 4x5 monorail that weighs 11kg, without lens, etc. I bought the big Manfrotto pan and tilt head (029?), and a Calumet branded copy of the Manfrotto 075 tripod. That set-up works. It can be taken out and about, but is heavy. I have a Manfrotto 055 3section aluminium tripod, but it’s not strong enough for my 4x5. Carbon fibre is much stronger, for a given weight of tripod (weight of tripod, rather than load capacity), so is a good option, but more expensive.
Whatever you go for, you want to end up with a head that secures the camera at any angle, and legs that wont wobble or collapse under the weight of camera and head.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11th January 2021, 08:47 PM
Friend

Hi Alan,

No, not had any of my CF tripods break on me (lost a foot or two off the MF55Pro though).

I like the lightness of carrying CF legs, but maybe it's psychological that my camera feels better on aluminium legs, especially since i can stab them into boggy or heather-covered ground.

Horses for courses i guess!

Mike
Old 11th January 2021, 10:44 PM
Friend

Good point about weight ratings. It seems to be quite difficult to get hold of specs for old Manfrotto kit, but the old 190B appears to be rated for 5kg; the 141 head with the tripod is rated for 6kg and weighs 1kg so a 3kg MPP perched on top of the whole thing is probably OK. I guess I'll find out!
Old 11th January 2021, 11:14 PM
Friend

I have a Husky Quickset tripod, manufactured in the 1960s. The top casting is steel, as are the legs (the Gitzo equivalent is of light alloy). The height adjustment is by twist collets. These become stiff over time - the leg has to be stripped down and the nylon wedges cleaned. Reassemble clean (no lubrication required) and it's good for another thirty years. On looking at the build I note that there are no weaknesses and it is straightforward to take up the slack in worn joints.

I used it with a Sinar 5x4, a Bronica (the weight of the tripod cured the camera shake), a Nikon F, a Canon 5D2 and a Hasselblad. The pan/tilt head is not smooth enough to use for cine.

They were very popular in that era and I see them offered secondhand. I saw one recently in Clarks Cameras, St Albans.
Old 12th January 2021, 12:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Good point about weight ratings. It seems to be quite difficult to get hold of specs for old Manfrotto kit, but the old 190B appears to be rated for 5kg; the 141 head with the tripod is rated for 6kg and weighs 1kg so a 3kg MPP perched on top of the whole thing is probably OK. I guess I'll find out!

That sounds fine. The modern 190s seem to be rated 6 or 7kg depending on model. The 141 head should easily cope with 3kg.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 13th January 2021, 10:46 PM
Friend

The other thing to consider is the head. I prefer a ball head, but others prefer the three-way arrangement. I use Arca-style plates on my cameras, with the appropriate clamp on the head. There are non-Arca style plates (Manfrottos, Gitzo) with rubber to protect the base of the camera but they introduce movement, some worse than others (especially small ones but you wouldn't consider them for LF work).

For clamps, the screw ones always work. The lever ones sometimes don't have enough range for very slightly off standard "Arca-style" plates. I have one such combination (RRS lever clamp, and I don't remember the brand of the plate for my Mamiya6, either RRS or Kirk). I find the lever clamps very convenient.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies