Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Equipment

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th December 2020, 10:50 PM
Friend

Default film holders

just been servicing some MPP wooden film holders ,I have 5 and wanted to use them so I took them apart and gave the light traps a good clean ,and where there were paper/card shims I replaced them with new card
and on 3 of them I put new tape on the hinged parts on the bottom ,its a cloth tape made for repairing book spines ,so hoping that it will last a while and just gave them a good clean and covered any bare wood with a black permanent sharpie ,so they are looking good ,and a nice little bit of work for a Sunday afternoon ....
Old 7th December 2020, 09:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
just been servicing some MPP wooden film holders ,I have 5 and wanted to use them so I took them apart and gave the light traps a good clean ,and where there were paper/card shims I replaced them with new card
and on 3 of them I put new tape on the hinged parts on the bottom ,its a cloth tape made for repairing book spines ,so hoping that it will last a while and just gave them a good clean and covered any bare wood with a black permanent sharpie ,so they are looking good ,and a nice little bit of work for a Sunday afternoon ....

Well done Paul, I bet those wooden ones look good.

I have restored a few wooden ones too but to date I've not been brave enough to use them.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 7th December 2020, 09:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
Paul, have you checked them for light leaks with paper instead of risking film?
Old 7th December 2020, 10:37 AM
Friend

The way the taped bits fit the holders should form a light seal anyway. I've re-tapped quite a few MPP and other holders with no issues, I use off-cuts of shutter cloth left over from roller blind shutter restorations.

Ian
Old 7th December 2020, 11:47 AM
Friend

Thanks all .Funny you should say that Norm ,When I get my stronger PEROXIDE ,I will be using them with paper ,so as you have said that's a good test .they do look good ,how long that will last ,who knows ?? .but it was interesting ..
Old 7th December 2020, 05:30 PM
Friend

I bought a large lot of second hand film holders and then used Ilford Direct Positive Paper to check their light-tightness.

I was disappointed with the results.

The felt light seals were a problem as was the light-tightness of the darkslides around the edge of the film holders.

Hopefully you have better luck with yours than I did with mine.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies