Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd September 2009, 04:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Alan Clark...
I have almost finished making a 10 x 8 camera and have been thinking about a vacuum box for doing contact prints, to avoid having to use glass. Does anyone have any experience of this?
I found this while mindlessly surfing the web one evening. Maybe the principle can be converted to a contact printing frame.

http://www.deadbread.com/crumbs/vac.html

nn
Old 3rd September 2009, 06:50 PM
Friend

Thanks NN.
I am sure a pump could pull enough air out of a box with small holes in the top to pull a sheet of printing paper down flat. The question is would enough air be pulled through the printing paper to create enough of a vacuum to pull the negative down flat?

I shall experiment and report back.

Alan
Old 8th September 2009, 11:11 AM
Friend

Where does one get chemicals for Pt/Pd printing? Silverprint do not stock them unless I have missed them. I expect them to eye-wateringly expensive but to what extent?

Les
Old 8th September 2009, 11:19 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by les dix View Post
Where does one get chemicals for Pt/Pd printing? Silverprint do not stock them unless I have missed them. I expect them to eye-wateringly expensive but to what extent?

Les
Silverprint sell some of the chemistry (Ferric Oxalate, developers and clearing agents for example). But you'll need to go to Bostick and Sullivan in the US (http://www.bostick-sullivan.com) for the metals - Potassium Chloroplatinite ("Platinum") and Sodium Chloropalladite ("Palladium").

The extent of your eye-watering depends... Take a look at their prices and then factor in shipping, customs duty and VAT...
Old 8th September 2009, 11:41 AM
Friend

Actually the cost of Pt/Pd depends on many more factors than just the cost of the metals and related chemistry. Developers are very cost-effective because they don't get exhausted in the same way that silver gelatin developers do. But the paper you use may be quite costly. You should also factor in the cost of wastage (e.g. test prints or when you mess up the coating). Wastage is probably the most underestimated cost of all.

I use a rule of thumb that a small print costs about £5 in materials. This number has varied significantly over the years... Nowadays I probably average 1-2 test prints before I find the right combination of Pt/Pd/developer, but thankfully I rarely mess up my coating.

All the economics change when you're making large prints - above 10x8 say.
Old 9th September 2009, 07:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by les dix View Post

Les
http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/

These people have the best prices I have found and they do not overcharge for postage.
Old 9th September 2009, 08:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/

These people have the best prices I have found and they do not overcharge for postage.
I get my supplies for Mike Ware's platinum process from Artcraft. They've proven to be very reliable; and shipping costs are lower because their supplies are powdered (water and bottles are heavy).

But when starting out, most people prefer to buy pre-mixed chemistry kits rather than powders. While this means your shipping prices are higher, it also means that you don't need so many precautions when mixing chemistry (you really don't want to inhale some of these chemicals).
Old 20th November 2009, 12:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
If that's Andrew Sanderson snuck into the forum, he's one person I had really hoped would get here. Thank you for Night photography and a lot of other things.
What a lovely comment, I'm flattered. Thank you.

Andrew Sanderson.
www.andrewsanderson.com
www.thewebdarkroom.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies