Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th May 2022, 11:44 AM
Friend

Well, if the mod has the same problem it tells you one of two things, I think.

He has the same problem with his process in terms of equipment or developer- unlikely in the extreme

or there is some intermittent problem with your particular camera with which you took the film

If he has no problem then there is a problem with some part of your process or equipment and as the problem seemed to go and then return this would suggest that your problem arises only occasionally due to I know not what.

All you can do,as I see it, is examine each part of the equipment and process minutely in the hope that something emerges

The other option which is both a lot more expensive and more time consuming is to send your film and all of the equipment you used to the mod and ask that he does it all with your equipment and then returns it

If with your equipment he has no problem then either he didn't do what you accidentally do with the equipment without realising it or he was just lucky with your equipment

This is a pretty drastic option but we have a drastic problem in the sense of it being not solvable

Mike

Last edited by Mike O'Pray; 28th May 2022 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Needed to add a few words
Old 28th May 2022, 12:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
'...your problem arises only occasionally due to I know not what.'

Mike
This point is what will probably make someone else developing the OP's films unworkable, even with the OP's equipment. One film, or even two may come out fine or not, which would give us no idea as to what the problem is.

Personally, I would be pulling out my hair by now...

The only other option for the OP that occurs to me, is to just carry on as normal and accept (at least for the immediate future) that one or two(?) exposures will probably be unusable, whilst crossing ones fingers that problem exposures are not the important ones on the reel.

I've just thought and have read the thread, but has the OP tried to develop a 120 MF film?

Fingers crossed for a light-bulb moment from someone, somewhere.

Terry S
Old 28th May 2022, 01:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Terry S
I hope so. My light bulb moments have been all flash-in-the-pans as have all the others on Photrio and here on FADU to date

Mike
Old 28th May 2022, 03:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Personally, I would be pulling out my hair by now...
I'm pretty much there.

Quote:
The only other option for the OP that occurs to me, is to just carry on as normal and accept (at least for the immediate future) that one or two(?) exposures will probably be unusable, whilst crossing ones fingers that problem exposures are not the important ones on the reel.
I may have to resort to that approach. I've got a backlog of film to be processed that I've been reluctant to do myself given that this issue is unresolved. Everything I've processed myself thus far has been test rolls. But I may start to work through the backlog and see what happens.

My only other option is to accept defeat and resume sending my film to a lab for processing. But that's a last resort.

Quote:
I've just thought and have read the thread, but has the OP tried to develop a 120 MF film?
I have not, I decided to start my own developing using 35mm. I never imagined it would take me this long to find success with 35mm and planned to do some 120 right after. But I might give a roll of 120 a go and see if this problem is somehow specific to 35mm.

Quote:
Thanks. I'm hopeful.

Last edited by loganca; 28th May 2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 29th May 2022, 05:57 AM
Friend

I just finished scanning my latest roll that was developed using HC-110 Dilution H. Development time was 9 minutes. I continuously agitated for the first 30 seconds and then performed 4 inversions every 30 seconds thereafter for the duration of development.

The scans look good, no odd streaks!

As before, I'm going to hold off celebrating until I have success with a second roll, since my first DD-X experiment seemed to go well until things went awry with my second roll.

I shot another test roll today and will develop it tomorrow. If that one goes well then I may have found a 'recipe' that works for me.

I'm going to guess that the longer development time coupled with the longer initial agitation may be the key here. We'll see...
Old 29th May 2022, 07:47 AM
Friend

Looking up, Logan. Your new procedure appears spot-on. Best of luck and keep up the good work.
Old 29th May 2022, 03:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Looking up, Logan. Your new procedure appears spot-on. Best of luck and keep up the good work.
Thanks!
Old 31st May 2022, 07:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganca View Post
I just finished scanning my latest roll that was developed using HC-110 Dilution H. Development time was 9 minutes. I continuously agitated for the first 30 seconds and then performed 4 inversions every 30 seconds thereafter for the duration of development.

The scans look good, no odd streaks!

As before, I'm going to hold off celebrating until I have success with a second roll, since my first DD-X experiment seemed to go well until things went awry with my second roll.

I shot another test roll today and will develop it tomorrow. If that one goes well then I may have found a 'recipe' that works for me.

I'm going to guess that the longer development time coupled with the longer initial agitation may be the key here. We'll see...

Just catching up on this thread.... Great news Logan. As JOReynolds pointed out - everything looks good with what you're doing. Hoping you've got this problem licked now. I know a lot of us who've tried to help you will be scratching their heads if this isn't fixed. Let us know how the latest film turns out.
Old 1st June 2022, 06:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Just catching up on this thread.... Great news Logan. As JOReynolds pointed out - everything looks good with what you're doing. Hoping you've got this problem licked now. I know a lot of us who've tried to help you will be scratching their heads if this isn't fixed. Let us know how the latest film turns out.
Well, I'm happy to report that my latest roll of Tri-X doesn't show any signs of streaking.

I developed this roll exactly like the last:

HC-110 Dilution H, 9 minutes developing time, continuous agitation for the first 30 seconds, and 4 inversions in 5 seconds every 30 seconds thereafter.

This seems to be a successful formula for me.

I've got another test roll to develop that I shot a few weeks ago. If that goes equally well, I'll start to work my way through a backlog of film that I've built up while attempting to resolve my development issues - that includes several rolls of 120 film that I haven't attempted to develop yet.

Hopefully this successful run will continue. I'll post back with an update once I get through some more rolls.

Thanks to everyone who offered their help in this thread and who suggested that I try a longer development time and a longer period of initial agitation. That seems to have been the ticket.
Old 1st June 2022, 12:07 PM
Friend

Excellent! Great to hear that Logan. Good on you for being persistent and trying different things to find the solution. And best of luck with all your films going forward from here.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies