Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st June 2022, 09:02 PM
Friend

Default replacing Li-polymer with NiMh battery's

I have two jinbei discovery battery flash kits they run on Li-polymer DC 24v 6000mAh battery's ,one pack has died and I was wondering if I could replace with NiMh battery's of the same power .the battery connects to the power pack with a + and - connector .
what I don't know if this would work ,anybody got any idea ,I imagen that 24volts is 24volts so it should work .

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCII600_01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	4416
Old 2nd June 2022, 02:17 AM
Friend

24 V is 24 V. However also check capacity of the NiMH to make sure it is in the ballpark of 6000 mAh. NiMH should be larger and heavier than Li-polymer for the same capacity. This aside, it should work, maybe with a longer charging period.
Old 9th June 2022, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Generally no - the charging requirements for LiPo (Lithium Ion Polymer) cells are very different to NiMH and you are likely to destroy the cells (at a minimum) if you charge them with a charger designed for LiPo.
Some chargers are switchable between types, so if yours is, no problem.

LiPo cells are widely used in radio control systems due to their light weight compared to NiMH so the cells are quite readily available, tho I do not know what type your power pack requires so if they are unusual in size or format etc, that may be an issue.

Be careful if dismantling a LiPo battery pack - do not short them or puncture them - if they start to smoke take them outside immediately - you will not be able to extinguish a LiPo fire.

Addendum:

Dispose of the used cells at your local council recycling facility - they are liable to start a fire if put though with the normal rubbish when the sorting machines damage them - much fun to be had on youtube watching them spontaneously burst into flame on conveyor belts... If any of the used cells are bulging, treat with care and put them outside where they won't set alight to anything if they do go up (it's unlikely, but better safe etc).

They are great batteries up until the point that they get damaged, at which point you are left staring at them to see if they are going to go up in unstoppable flame, billow toxic smoke or, most likely, do absolutely nothing...

All that said, if however, the battery packs are completely separate from the control unit and you simply require a separate power block that you can connect to the 24V terminals on the control unit (and will use a separate NiMH charger to charge the new pack) then yes, I agree that should work fine. The only outstanding issue I can think of in that case is to ensure that the NiMH pack can supply the current that the control pack will try to draw from it. I imagine that is in the manual somewhere and/or printed on the equipment labels.

Last edited by Bob; 10th June 2022 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10th June 2022, 02:29 AM
Friend

You should really compare the full specs of the NiMH, the substituted LiPo, and the charger used, to be technically sure. And the load specs, if possible. A 24V charger for NiMH should be cheap, if a different charger is needed. Probably your old LiPo is not a very large or special type.

The idea of looking for a substitute LiPo is a good one, but be warned that there are many LiPo batteries of different shapes, capacities and charging specs, all giving the 24V that you need.

As said above LiPo should be handled with a lot of care.

Last edited by JulioF; 10th June 2022 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Corrections
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies