Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st May 2022, 08:32 AM
Friend

The second set of images certainly look like a clear improvement on the first.

When you mentioned about horrible things in evenly toned areas such as the sky, does it appear like a clumping, mottling effect?
If so, this is quite a common phenomenon and is generally a sign of film that has been poorly stored and exposed to heat and moisture.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 21st May 2022, 10:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Firstcall sell something with a similar name (1-phenyl- 5-mercaptotiazole) it is sold under the manufacturers name of Belini but is quite expensive.

The antifogging "Restrainer" from Moersch shouldn't be expensive.

The traditional antifog chemical has been and of course could be Kaliumbromide.
Old 21st May 2022, 01:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
The second set of images certainly look like a clear improvement on the first.

When you mentioned about horrible things in evenly toned areas such as the sky, does it appear like a clumping, mottling effect?
If so, this is quite a common phenomenon and is generally a sign of film that has been poorly stored and exposed to heat and moisture.
I have had a bit of clumping but also black spots and the odd scratch. I think it is pretty much beyond redemption but is good enough to test eBay purchases

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Old 21st May 2022, 01:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
I have just made a quick search on the web and came up with the anti fogging chemical name which is Benzotriazole.

Then on on the Photrio site there was a post about using it. The recommendation for use is 1gm per 100cc of water and then to be shaken vigorously because it is slow to dissolve but apparently heating the water to 50C makes this easier.

From the resulting solution add 10cc to the working developer (I does not say what the quantity of working solution is (?) which will take some experimentation. It does not mention any change in developing time though.

I was wrong about speed being restored in fact the speed from the ORIGINAL is reduced

I would think if you feel a bit of experimentation, where to start to look for the places that sell it be Silverprint, although Firstcall sell something with a similar name (1-phenyl- 5-mercaptotiazole) it is sold under the manufacturers name of Belini but is quite expensive.
Its all interesting stuff. I read the same article on photrio. I have five rolls in the freezer so may just pick up some anti fogging agent and have an experiment. Thanks for this info

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Old 12th June 2022, 09:23 PM
Friend

I bought a lovely Fed-3 and tested all the shutter speeds with the FP4 safety film. This time I shot at 64, developed at 250, like last time but this time I added 10% to the dev time and I am rather pleased with the results. Its still a bit grainy but this is eminently usable. I won't be shooting with it when I have a purpose in mind but when I am just parping around its ideal

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Old 5th August 2022, 09:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
I have just made a quick search on the web and came up with the anti fogging chemical name which is Benzotriazole.

Then on on the Photrio site there was a post about using it. The recommendation for use is 1gm per 100cc of water and then to be shaken vigorously because it is slow to dissolve but apparently heating the water to 50C makes this easier.

From the resulting solution add 10cc to the working developer (I does not say what the quantity of working solution is (?) which will take some experimentation. It does not mention any change in developing time though.

I was wrong about speed being restored in fact the speed from the ORIGINAL is reduced

I would think if you feel a bit of experimentation, where to start to look for the places that sell it be Silverprint, although Firstcall sell something with a similar name (1-phenyl- 5-mercaptotiazole) it is sold under the manufacturers name of Belini but is quite expensive.
OK I put 10ml of benzo in a Rodinal dev of some Orwo NP27 that expired in 1992 and i got some incredibly thin negatives, far thinner than i was expecting. i wonder if the benzo had anything to do with it.
Old 7th August 2022, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteK View Post
OK I put 10ml of benzo in a Rodinal dev of some Orwo NP27 that expired in 1992 and i got some incredibly thin negatives, far thinner than i was expecting. i wonder if the benzo had anything to do with it.
I doubt it Pete, although you have got to remember that benzotriazole is a restrainer, so tries to hold back any base fog, caused by the age of your film, thereby slowing down the development, there by causing underdeveloped negatives.

My benzotriazole experiments so far have only been with very old papers, but I often had to double the exposure, as well as increase development time by about twice as well. Based on this I would expect similar with films.

I've just browsed for a good while, and I was surprised at how little information was out there, by people that had actually used the chemical, rather than offering wild stabs in the dark.

The following thread I found useful, especially posts #01 and #11, where the poster used old FP4 at ISO 50 and doubled the development time as well:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...d-film.120922/

Based on my browsing and my paper experiments, I would try similar to the thread and half the film speed to about ISO 50 and try a small length of film for plus 50% and plus 100% development time, with benzotriazole added to what ever developer you want to use. Then look at the results and hopefully you will then just have to tweak if required.

But do remember that using long expired film is very much touch and go. As my time can be limited I prefer to use fresh film only.

Good luck.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies