Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th June 2022, 11:18 AM
Friend

Yes, I am not sure that the airport security team who check hand baggage are aware of this, John. If there was a direct refusal for an hand inspection and film was fogged it would be interesting to see what might happen in court should that person pursue the case

The best thing that could happen would be someone taking legal action and the airport security defending its action and losing. The all of a sudden there would be an instruction to accede to a request for hand inspection across all airports in England and Wales this settling matters for good

Mike
Old 9th June 2022, 06:55 PM
Friend

These search officers whoever they are, still have to abide by the law. When you see the police on the 'fly On The Wall' programmes will have either a warrant to enter premises signed by a magistrate which allow them to force entrance. If the evidence suggests an error has been made then full compensation will be paid by the Police Authority.

Searching someones luggage as a security precaution is made on the premise that 'no search- no flight' (Although police may be called to assist if something is suspected).

However as I mentioned so long as the searching officers have been made fully aware that the contents may be damaged by exposure to X Rays then I would think that apart from any criminal offence, they would have left themselves wide open for a civil legal action for damages to the ruined film and possibly ruined holiday too.
Old 15th June 2022, 03:41 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Well, I am back from a visit to Spain. I took out some 35mm Delta 100 films. To minimise any effect of X-rays on the film, I rewound the film onto Shirley Wellard Cassettes as they are quite thick metal (I was wanting to try them out anyway).

At Manchester Airport a helpful security man reassured me that film except X-ray film would be OK going through the scanners. I let them through with my other hand luggage and to my horror my hand luggage got rejected and passed to the hand search queue. Imagining that my cassettes had rung some alarm bells I waited in some trepidation. As it turned out it was my suncream which I had added as a last thing and forgotten all about.

Anyway, my exposed films went through the scanners at Bilbao Airport on the way back. They are awaiting development. I will report back when I have done so.

Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 15th June 2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 15th June 2022, 04:01 PM
Friend

Thanks Mike, let us know how it goes. Were your able to ascertain that at both airports the hand luggage passed through the latest CT scanners? The older Xray ones did not affect film except as you say Xray film and the very fast films such as D3200

Mike

Last edited by Mike O'Pray; 15th June 2022 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Needed an additional question
Old 15th June 2022, 04:54 PM
Friend

Mike, it would be nice if you had a 'control' film from the same batch that hasn't been to Spain?

Without a control film, I'm not sure the human eye will discern any measurable influence of the scanners, Spain and back, pre- and post- exposure.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 15th June 2022, 10:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Mike, it would be nice if you had a 'control' film from the same batch that hasn't been to Spain?

Without a control film, I'm not sure the human eye will discern any measurable influence of the scanners, Spain and back, pre- and post- exposure.
Marty, yes that might be nice in terms of ascertaining the actual influence, but am I being simple minded in suggesting that if the human eye cannot discern any measurable influence of the new scanners then it hardly matter?

Mike
Old 15th June 2022, 11:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Marty, yes that might be nice in terms of ascertaining the actual influence, but am I being simple minded in suggesting that if the human eye cannot discern any measurable influence of the new scanners then it hardly matter?

Mike
Sorry, I mean, without having a control film for the eye to compare against.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 16th June 2022, 06:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post

You could always develop another piece of film which has not been anywhere near a X Ray scanner then compare the two. It isn't too late.
Old 16th June 2022, 09:22 AM
Friend

Get a comparison of shots taken whilst abroad and at home.

Before you go abroad take a few shots on a roll of 35mm. Use a repeatable subject such as a test card or colour magazine page, also make a note of your camera settings etc.
Use flash for consistency. Cut them off the roll and store safely for your return.

When you get abroad repeat your original test shots with the flash.

Upon your return pop both lengths of film into the tank and develop together.

You now have an untouched set and a possibly/most likely zapped length of film to compare at your liesure.

Cheers.
Old 16th June 2022, 04:38 PM
Friend

If you want to use film abroad, your options are quite limited. You could buy it at your destination and have it processed there, but that depends on the availability of film and a processing lab, and also the length of your stay. There are very few places doing express processing nowadays. If it’s B&W, you could do your own processing at your accommodation. This would have been possible for me in Berlin as film and chemicals were available, but it means having a tank (Agfa Rondinax?) in your luggage, and negative storage materials. None of that is ideal.
The alternative is taking film, and hoping it will not be damaged by airport security measures. The B&W I processed after my Berlin trip was fine. The colour film is away to a lab today. I’ve since been to Venice, using Glasgow, Venice Marco Polo and Edinburgh airports. I haven’t processed any of that film yet. I looked at buying colour film in Venice. There are at least two shops selling it, but the price is prohibitive. 21 Euros for a 35mm Portra 400, and nobody had the other, cheaper Kodak 400. I didn’t bother.
It would be more of a problem if you were working professionally, but for amateur photographers (do we still use that expression?) the situation seems to be that you either take a risk, or forget about using film on foreign holidays. My return flight from Venice was randomly cancelled, so I’m not planning on flying again soon (I’m home now, sadly!)
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies