Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th June 2022, 06:10 PM
Friend

A way around having to hand hold is to uprate your film. HP5+ pushes nicely to 800 ISO and beyond with only a slight loss in quality. And if you are making say 10x8 prints you would hardly notice the difference - eapecialy with MF. I have resorted to this myself on a few occasions and it has saved the day - but don't try hand holding LF

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th June 2022, 10:22 PM
Friend

Default Beamish and tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAllan View Post
Interesting to see you got away with using a tripod, John - the Beamish website now states "the use of tripods, monopods, supplementary lighting or drones is not permitted." Perhaps they only enforce that indoors or in otherwise crowded areas. I've used tripods there many times in the past and I'm not sure when this rule was introduced. I'd like to shoot large format at Beamish but a tripod ban would make that impossible.
I have used a tripod inside buildings and outside and no one has ever said anything about it. There are no notices at the entrance and when I walked though no one said anything about the use of a tripod where I could use it or otherwise and it was conspicuously carried over my shoulder

Obviously some of the spaces are so cramped and in school holidays, the use of a tripod would be both antisocial and impossible at the same time.

This week it was relatively quiet, although there were several large school parties, The school parties are usually well organised, but most of the students I saw were more interested in seeing how many 'likes' they had received in the 10 minutes since they last checked!
Old 17th June 2022, 10:32 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=Terry S;145450]You've some good scans there John, so printing should be better.

I found the Beamish Museum pictures interesting, so looked up their website, which gives a good bit of info for visitors, but no where on the site could I find their address and how to get there!?!...

I will send you a PM as to how to get there and a bit more besides.

Regards

John
Old 18th June 2022, 06:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I have used a tripod inside buildings and outside and no one has ever said anything about it. There are no notices at the entrance and when I walked though no one said anything about the use of a tripod where I could use it or otherwise and it was conspicuously carried over my shoulder

Obviously some of the spaces are so cramped and in school holidays, the use of a tripod would be both antisocial and impossible at the same time.!
Thanks John, I will give the tripod another try
Old 18th June 2022, 12:29 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=John King;145459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I found the Beamish Museum pictures interesting, so looked up their website, which gives a good bit of info for visitors, but no where on the site could I find their address and how to get there!?!...

I will send you a PM as to how to get there and a bit more besides.

Regards

John
PM received John. You give much information, which is where being a volunteer really helps.

If I'm ever thinking of visiting, I'll give you a call.

Many thanks,

Terry S

P.A. Initially, when seeing the pictures titles, and especially the third print with barrels in the foreground, I thought that it was a brewery tour of the Beamish beer one.

Last edited by Terry S; 18th June 2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 18th June 2022, 01:10 PM
Friend

Default Beer Barrels

Terry, no they are only props on the station platform. Rowley station was originally located about 15 miles away and closed about 60+ years ago and lay derelict for a long while. It was dismantled brick by brick and block by block and rebuilt on site here at Beamish. This is like most of the exhibits here although there are some 'new builds'.
The latest enterprise is dismantling and rebuilding part of an old council estate from somewhere in south Durham, but that will be several years before it is finished.
There are touches closer to home such as the village school where my partner's, father attended. He died a while back but I don't know what he would have made of it probably not a lot! Then there is what is now a large tea room which serves really nice food. This used to be the Co-op shop in Annfield Plain where I live. (Replaced by a Tesco's!)
That was demolished and rebuilt long before I came to live here.

All of Beamish is original, but not where it was originally. Tanfield Railway where I volunteer is 100% original apart from the two new build stations. It never had any before because it was for coal transport only and never carried passengers.

Last edited by John King; 18th June 2022 at 01:14 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies