Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th April 2022, 07:55 AM
Friend

Well observed, I have recently retired and neither play golf nor have gym membership!
Old 15th April 2022, 12:46 PM
Friend

A nice article and videos.

It took me back a few years ago when I bound up the first years edition of a magazine called Practical Photographer.

Problem in those days was we had no internet shopping.
Everything was writing off for catalogues, filling in forms and sending off Postal Orders or cheques. Very, very slow.

I had to scour the house for materials in those days, and my mothers sewing materials for cloth and tape.
Got there in the end, but the book was lost in a house move.

After mentioning this article at home I was brought to a halt by the words,
" More gadget making. When are you going to take some pictures?"

I am still very tempted though and will give a try a bit later when the dust settles.

Thanks for reviving my interest in book binding. Very interesting.

Cheers.
Old 15th April 2022, 03:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJarvis View Post

If you ever find an A5 landscape black paper, acid free sketchbook with medium weight paper, let me know and I might be rescued from my new addiction!
I make my own books using A5 Mont Marte Acid Free Black Sketch Pads. I don't recall their largest size, but I've used their A5 and A4 versions. Rather than folding the pages in half to make signatures, I pull apart the sketch pad and insert approximately 2cm strips between the pages to account for the photos' thickness (and the photo corners I use) and either stitch the entire block together Japanese binding style with a soft cover, or drill through the block and insert album posts and make a cloth covered hard cover.

Your headbands really add an elegant finish to your album, Mr. Jarvis. I've got a long way to go!

If you want some craftsmanship to admire and aspire to, I've just finished watching this five part series:

https://youtu.be/iFuWfhESpFc

I found out belatedly that there are subtitles if you'd like a little educational commentary but, otherwise, there's no talking, just the most beautiful labour of love.

Regarding the Mont Marte paper, I checked availability and, although it's Australian, they're listed as being an international company, so hopefully you'll find a source locally. I bought my last batch via ebay from a store outside of my travel limit during lockdown.

I also found out the sizes available: A5, A4 and A3 - so creating signatures 'properly' is possible!
Item here, no affiliation:
https://www.arttoart.net/mont-marte-sketch-pad-black

I hope I've added something of use to you in your book binding adventures!
Old 16th April 2022, 07:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
A nice article and videos.

It took me back a few years ago when I bound up the first years edition of a magazine called Practical Photographer.

Problem in those days was we had no internet shopping.
Everything was writing off for catalogues, filling in forms and sending off Postal Orders or cheques. Very, very slow.

I had to scour the house for materials in those days, and my mothers sewing materials for cloth and tape.
Got there in the end, but the book was lost in a house move.

After mentioning this article at home I was brought to a halt by the words,
" More gadget making. When are you going to take some pictures?"

I am still very tempted though and will give a try a bit later when the dust settles.

Thanks for reviving my interest in book binding. Very interesting.

Cheers.
Glad I revoked an interest, sorry I invoked household tension, lol.

Yes, back in the day projects like this were so much harder, setting aside acquiring materials, just sourcing the information on how to do things was hard enough, now we have YouTube.

Good to hear your story, good luck if you pursue this further!
Old 16th April 2022, 08:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I make my own books using A5 Mont Marte Acid Free Black Sketch Pads. I don't recall their largest size, but I've used their A5 and A4 versions. Rather than folding the pages in half to make signatures, I pull apart the sketch pad and insert approximately 2cm strips between the pages to account for the photos' thickness (and the photo corners I use) and either stitch the entire block together Japanese binding style with a soft cover, or drill through the block and insert album posts and make a cloth covered hard cover.

Your headbands really add an elegant finish to your album, Mr. Jarvis. I've got a long way to go!

If you want some craftsmanship to admire and aspire to, I've just finished watching this five part series:

https://youtu.be/iFuWfhESpFc

I found out belatedly that there are subtitles if you'd like a little educational commentary but, otherwise, there's no talking, just the most beautiful labour of love.

Regarding the Mont Marte paper, I checked availability and, although it's Australian, they're listed as being an international company, so hopefully you'll find a source locally. I bought my last batch via ebay from a store outside of my travel limit during lockdown.

I also found out the sizes available: A5, A4 and A3 - so creating signatures 'properly' is possible!
Item here, no affiliation:
https://www.arttoart.net/mont-marte-sketch-pad-black

I hope I've added something of use to you in your book binding adventures!
Thanks for the tip on the Monte Marte paper, I'll do some searching for that as acid free A3 paper in black is hard to come by. I’m using Frisk Black Mixed Media Paper Pad 250gsm currently.

Interested to hear about Japanese binding or binding posts, I had considered these options, they would have saved quite a few steps and made sourcing paper a lot more straightforward, like you say, no folding required, hence also no need for edge trimming.

But being a mug for punishment, thought I’d persevere with a traditional kettle stitched bound book with its added complexities, I just like that look for my own albums, I suppose I can say photo books.

However, I may well venture into those other styles you mention, I think for a gift they would work well. I have project in mind for my daughter with some B&W film photos I took of her cat taken from when it was a new born kitten up to the present day, the cat’s now 15 years old! I think she would like a Japanese style binding, so thanks for reminding me.

Thanks for the compliment on the headband, it’s a cheat though, as there are ready made headband strips available that are simply cut and glued on to the ends of the spine. Invoking more pain, I plan to hand stitch these for V2, so that will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I’ll subscribe to that You Tube channel, thanks for the link, It’s quite relaxing to watch a real craftsman at work, nothing at all like me in action I can assure you!

Thanks for your post, it’s nice to know there is interest in this aspect of the photographic journey and that others have or are indulging in their own self made albums.
Old 16th April 2022, 03:52 PM
Friend

I absolutely agree on the relaxing nature of watching a true craftsman/artist at work. I sat through forty-five minutes of someone restoring a hundred year old meat cleaver once. As an almost lifelong vegetarian, it was a slightly odd thing by which to become entranced!

Watching all five episodes in that medieval book making series; seeing the end was so deeply satisfying. I can only imagine how thrilled Dennis (the book maker) must have felt. Did I mention that he's made the majority of the tools he uses as well as the furnishings? 😊

With regard to Japanese Binding, I have to admit that my results are rather... haphazard. Mostly they've turned out well enough, but I made the mistake of using metallic gold thread on the last one and it kept getting caught up, the holes weren't drilled with the care required and the book was too thick for that style.

The album posts are so much easier to deal with and offer two other advantages - one can add extensions to the posts themselves and, also, when you realise you've skipped a page or three, thereby mucking up your carefully curated image order, you can simply undo the posts, take out the pages and move them to the back.

The simplest albums I've made have been concertina style. One of them was for an aunt's 80th filled with old family photos I'd restored (digitally, sorry!). Her son and grandchildren and brother-in-law all gathered around it, stretched right across the living room floor, exclaiming over photos of 'Grandma' when she was a little girl.

I used old maps as end papers for a couple of albums (with the pertinent locations dotted in with gold leaf) if anyone wants a variation on marbled paper.

Your book really is so very well finished, Mr. Jarvis - premade endbands and all! You've inspired me to do better in the future.

Sorry, I'm too wordy. Please read my babble as admiration and enthusiasm! 😊
Old 17th April 2022, 08:17 AM
Friend

lol, you’re post is illuminating, thank you, I enjoyed reading it. I guess what you’ve hit on is the joy to be had in presenting photos, especially to family in a unique and personal way. It doesn’t have to be fancy or perfect, just needs to hit the right notes. It sounds like you’ve already achieved that connection with your own albums, which must be very satisfying.

However, if I have inspired you in any way, that is a very kind compliment indeed, thank you, that is very much appreciated. Good luck on your future binding adventures!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies