Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th November 2020, 08:49 AM
Friend

Mike I think it is now confirmed the scanner is the problem.

I used my flatbed scanner and passed two strips of negatives through which contained ones that had previously been scanned through in the Nikon and showed the dark 'smears' and they were all clear.
Old 29th November 2020, 08:51 PM
Friend

Default Back to square 1

As I said in my last post I thought it was the scanner - well I now know it isn't the scanner

I have been printing a colour this evening from another negative on the same film where I first saw the problem when scanned in the Nikon scanner the brown stain like a smear of paint was on that edge and along the top edge were very faint but discernible light brown best described as 'blobs. The print was about A4 size on a 10x12 piece of paper. These 'blobs. directly corresponded exactly with the sprocket holes on the edge of the film!

The film Fuji C200 developed in the last of my Tetenal in a JOBO processor for the prescribed times including the bleach and fix, all at 38C

Was it in the developing stage these were formed - I don't think so because they are no where else. Were they in the bleach or the fix? My money is on the bleach, although to be honest has not had a lot of throughput since it was mixed. (About 4 films processed in 500cc of bleach) I have never had this before so it is head scratching time for me.

I have never had bleach go stale on me before and it certainly doesn't smell of Hydrogen Sulphide (bad eggs) which I do know can happen.

Any thoughts please.

Last edited by John King; 29th November 2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 30th November 2020, 02:13 PM
Friend

John, Is it something like the sky in this picture? (sorry for the poor image, the print was fixed up in my office, and I used my phone to get this)

I've only had it happen with one film, a roll of Kodak Proimage 100 which was processed in Bellini C41 chemicals. I assumed it was the colour equivalent of Bromide drag caused by poor agitation technique.

Edmund
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1183.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	3929  
Old 30th November 2020, 05:13 PM
Friend

Default Processing problem

No it isn't like that at all. I will try to explain. After processing, the spaces between each frame are clear film (apart from the orange mask.) But when they are scanned the edges which are clear on the film, naturally appear black which is normal but on a number of frames on this film 'bleed' into the subject matter on the frame itself.

I have looked at the them clearly and you cannot see this without printing of scanning. Then on a print I made last night there are dark 'blobs', very faint but definitely there which correspond to the sprocket holes on the edge of the film. You can see the 'blobs' above each of the towers and all along the top edge. The top right hand corner is also discoloured but this vanishes when the print becomes darker in the bush,.

The discolouration is very light and only significant in light areas, but it is not right and should not happen. I have spoken to Tetenal today and they have never come across it either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Film Fault025.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	3931  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies