Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2010, 06:05 PM
Friend

Default Silver Toner

I'm back to the darkroom next week after my enforced break of 4 weeks away.

I have to produce 8 FB prints (I'm using Kentmere Fineprint VC paper with Eukobrom dev) as the images are all metal scultpures.

Has anyone used silver toner. The one I was recommended here looks good but has anyone ever used it? It's a lot of money to spend out on if I use it once and hate it!

Laura

RB67 Pro S
Canon EOS 30
Old 19th November 2010, 08:28 PM
Friend

Silver toner? The basic material of a 'real' print IS siver. I suspect you mean a toner that will give a metallic finish to the print(?). I used one made by a firm called Rockland many years ago. I havent seen it for years, though. It was very effective, but you had to be carefull not to overdo it or the reflective surface on the deepest blacks gave an almost 'negative' effect. The effect was more of 'brushed steel' than silver. There's also a bit about it in Tim Rudman's book.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with such a toner (if you can find it).

Rob
Old 19th November 2010, 08:34 PM
Friend

I think Firstcall import the rockland silver toner,www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk,although I have never used it,Richard
Old 19th November 2010, 11:08 PM
Friend

Yes Firstcall do stock the Rockland toner and it sounds as if someone here on FADU recommended it in the sense that it sounded as if it would so what Laura wants. However it may be that no-one here has actually used it.

Based on what Firstcall say about it, it is about 60p per 8x10 print so not cheap. However it sounds as if the toner might go further if you only toned parts of the print( it talks of making a tree silver while the rest of the prints remain unsilvered). It wasn't clear how this is done but I am assuming that you use the rubberised Fotomask to prevent the toner getting to those bits you don't want "silvered".

Of course that means the added expense of Fotomask and the brush cleaner fluid as well. However Fotomask can come in handy for any print where toning is to be confined to certain bits.

Mike
Old 20th November 2010, 08:19 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I think Firstcall import the rockland silver toner,www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk,although I have never used it,Richard

A direct link is HERE. Sound like it could be fun.
Old 21st November 2010, 12:04 PM
Friend

I have not used this toner myself, but Tim Rudman does cover the toner at reasonable length in his book on toning.

The Rockland Halo-Chrome can be used as a direct or indirect toner (with an initial bleach stage). It sounds like you want the mirror silver effect in the highlights, for which you would use it as a direct toner.

Tim has several tips for using the toner; don't touch the emulsion surface, use an acid hypo fix not rapid fix, mix the toner shortly before use as it has a short working life, tone prints one at a time and face up in the toner. The surface of the toned print is very fragile, so be careful not to touch it during or after processing, especially do not squeegee it after washing.

If you can get hold of a copy of Tim's book, it would be well worth it to read through the section on silver and bronze mirror toners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMrs View Post
I have to produce 8 FB prints (I'm using Kentmere Fineprint VC paper with Eukobrom dev) as the images are all metal scultpures.

Has anyone used silver toner. The one I was recommended here looks good but has anyone ever used it? It's a lot of money to spend out on if I use it once and hate it!

Laura
Old 22nd November 2010, 01:52 PM
Friend

Steve thanks for the info.
I have the book on order as part of my husbands xmas presents

I will be printing this week and still haven't decided on the toner....I should do so today so I can get it in time!
It does sound just the effect I'm looking for though!

RB67 Pro S
Canon EOS 30
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies