Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st March 2020, 05:01 PM
Friend

Waking up my old thread here....

I've finally worked through a rather sizable stash of D76 given to me a few years ago, and also finished some experimenting with Rodinal, and so am happy to be moving on to finally try out Microphen. I've been meaning to do this for years but always put it off for the reasons above.

I've got a couple of packets of it on hand (2.5L and 1L), and would like to try Ian's recommendation of using it replenished. The reason for this is not economy, but rather that Ian had noted it's image quality was better when used this way (seasoned replenished stock vs. one-shot). So regarding replenishment, I have a few questions:

- Can the stock solution be used as a replenisher? In other words, of the 2.5L stock, can I set aside 500ml and use it to replenish the main batch of 2L working solution? Or should I make up a batch of ID-68 replenisher?

- How long will the replenished working stock last? Will it expire within the usual time...say, 8 months to a year or so? Or can it go on longer, assuming regular use and replenishment?

- Can I expect any loss of developer activity over time, if used replenished? I've read that this can be an issue with certain developers when used this way, but would like to know if Microphen behaves this way also, and if so how much do I compensate for this?

Thanks in advance! I'm really looking forward to seeing the results from this. I've always like the tonality that others seem to get from Microphen.

Last edited by Svend; 31st March 2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 31st March 2020, 06:11 PM
Friend

Default Microphen

Actually I started using by default. I had ordered 2 x 1 litre packets of ID11 and instead they sent Microphen in error. I had not used it before until then and found it suited my style of photography and had not realised that it was supposed to have a speed increase benefit. I continued to use it with films set at the box speed. I didn't notice any extra increase in negative density but I am certain the grain is less than ID11. I have just finished another 1/2 litre bottle of Microphen which according to the lable on the side it was 1 bottle of 4 made up in August 2018 and has not discoloured one bit and is as good as when it was 1st mixed.

I always use it at the 1-1 dilution so it is quite economical too at less than 1 per film. My last films were Kentmere 100 and enlarged to fit an A 4 sheet of Ilford MG paper the grain is well neigh invisible unless you examine it very closely. To sum up I am sold on it and it is my developer of choice.

Last edited by John King; 31st March 2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 31st March 2020, 07:10 PM
Friend

Your post is good news for me, John and thanks. I have a packet waiting to be used primarily for D3200 due to its half a stop increase in speed. At the back of my mind was the fear that the increase in speed came with much bigger grain but this would seem not to be the case

Mike
Old 31st March 2020, 07:48 PM
Friend

John - almost two years since mixed is really impressive. Great to hear that it's so long-lasting. From your comments you normally use it 1:1, but have you ever used it replenished? If so, how did it work out for you?
Old 31st March 2020, 08:52 PM
Friend

Default Microphen

No I have never used it as a stock solution which was replenished. I didn't use that much B&W over the last year or so, it has mainly been colour neg. However with the regular huge increases in price of colour chemicals, I am moving back to B&W more and more.

But talking about replenishment. With colour in a NOVA processor I replenish the developer, stop and bleach-fix at the end of the session. Has anyone ever tried to replenish B&W stop and fixer that way it would ensure it's life was extended almost indefinitely.

Obviously it would have to be cleaned (filtered) out over time but the cleaned chemicals could be used again and again with replenishment. I am just thinking of the build up of silver deposits in the fixer, over time they may be worth recovering.

Last edited by John King; 31st March 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 31st March 2020, 09:11 PM
Friend

Thanks John. I'm hoping Ian G. drops in here to answer my questions about replenishment - he seems to have had a lot of experience doing this with ID-68/Microphen.

In the meantime I am tempted to mix up just the 1L package and try a few rolls of Delta 100, FP4 and PanF just to see how they look when developed at 1+1. As an aside, the 1+1 dilution is pretty much my standard when using Perceptol and ID-11/D-76 -- I always seem to get better results with this ratio than either full-strength (too much solvent action, loss of sharpness), or greater dilutions such as 1+3 (too dilute, developer exhausts giving flat negs).
Old 1st April 2020, 10:25 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
No I have never used it as a stock solution which was replenished. I didn't use that much B&W over the last year or so, it has mainly been colour neg. However with the regular huge increases in price of colour chemicals, I am moving back to B&W more and more.

But talking about replenishment. With colour in a NOVA processor I replenish the developer, stop and bleach-fix at the end of the session. Has anyone ever tried to replenish B&W stop and fixer that way it would ensure it's life was extended almost indefinitely.

Obviously it would have to be cleaned (filtered) out over time but the cleaned chemicals could be used again and again with replenishment. I am just thinking of the build up of silver deposits in the fixer, over time they may be worth recovering.

Apologies for going slightly off thread topic but:

I used the stop-bath with indicator in my toaster replenishing as necessary to fill the slot. It seemed to stay yellow for ages although it was quite difficult to see a change in colour in the darkroom and even with a bit removed into a test tube and taken out as the colour seemed to fade rather than go pink. I never tested it with indicator paper so don't know what was going on. I now change it whenever I change the fixer which I judge from the area of prints put through (this is also topped up as necessary).

As for reclaiming silver - I have tried this after liberating a silver electrolysis unit from work. The amount of silver on the plate after several reclamation sessions was negligible and in the end I gave the unit to Ed Buziak that used to produce the magazine 'Darkroom User'.
Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 1st April 2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 1st April 2020, 04:04 PM
Friend

If Id68/microphen/DDX are very similar developers would Dave Butchers development times be a good starting point?

http://www.darkroomdave.com/tutorial...and-delta-400/
Old 1st April 2020, 04:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
If Id68/microphen/DDX are very similar developers would Dave Butchers development times be a good starting point?

http://www.darkroomdave.com/tutorial...and-delta-400/
Norm, are you looking for a starting point to use Microphen and/or ID-68? If so, why not look to Ilford's own data sheet?

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/f...9/product/550/

According to Ian's ID-68 page the times for Microphen and ID-68 are the same:

http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/photogr...devPQ-ID11.htm

Hope this answers your question.
Old 1st April 2020, 05:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
According to Ian's ID-68 page the times for Microphen and ID-68 are the same:

http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/photogr...devPQ-ID11.htm

Hope this answers your question.
Ilford themselves published that the times for ID-68 were identical to Microphen and that essentially they are identical. In practice there's Sodium Metabisulphite in Microphen Part A but that's compensated for by a slight tweaking of the buffering to maintain the same pH.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies