Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th May 2009, 10:29 AM
Friend

Default Look what I found

The management was getting a bit peeved with me mixing 5 litres of ID11 in the large cooking pot, not the ideal solution (no pun intended). This has been solved with a lucky find at work, took a bit of cleaning though. Now I can mix in a proper "chemical" way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beaker.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	239  
Old 10th May 2009, 10:48 AM
Friend

Default Mixing Jugs

You secured a great find Alfie. Last year I was looking for a Glass Pyrex type 5L mixing jug and was put off by the very high price the manufacturer wanted so ended up with a £1.99 painters bucket from B&Q Home depot to mix up so Xtol. Not very successful as it wound not dissolve correctly, nasty plastic, always had bits in my solution and a pig to pour from into smaller bottles from the bucket. Eventually gave up with that idea.

I changed from power to liquid concentrate and now found my ideal developer. A liquid Fotospeed FD10 which very similar to ID-11 according to the H&S ingredients specification and produces great negatives.

Talking about Pyrex, a while back I got some 1-litre and 2-little jugs from Woolworths but took them back as the markings quantities were way off the correct levels. Splashed out on the Jobo measuring jugs from Firstcall.

All that cleaning you done I'm sure is well worth it - Cheers!

apxuser
Old 10th May 2009, 01:58 PM
Friend

I prefer glass mixing vessels as I believe they are easier to clean. I have collected all of mine from eBay auctions; worth keeping an eye on the non-photographic sections for them, as the prices tend to be lower there.
Old 10th May 2009, 04:48 PM
Friend

I agree, I gave up with plastic some time ago. Sets of glass beakers are available in several sizes and at reasonable cost here for example.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 10th May 2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator

I've stuck with plastic, 'thou I never let chemicals dry in them; as soon as used for mixing/measuring I wash out and put aside to dry. I also only use the same container for the same type of chemical: developer, fix, stop, selenium etc - plus one jug that only ever has water in it...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies