Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th November 2017, 05:20 PM
Friend

Default Fotospeed RCVC paper

Anyone using this paper? How does it compare to other makes?

Thank you.
Old 24th November 2017, 06:04 PM
Friend

I have used it in the past when I could not get the required paper in Ilford. It was OK I suppose, but if the two brands were side to side I would go for Ilford, even if Ilford cost more.
Old 24th November 2017, 06:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I have used it in the past when I could not get the required paper in Ilford. It was OK I suppose, but if the two brands were side to side I would go for Ilford, even if Ilford cost more.
Warmtone or regular?
Old 24th November 2017, 06:37 PM
Friend

I have used some because its was cheap ,and I found the finished print was good .if its the same price as Ilford I would buy Ilford but if its a good deal cheaper price I would buy some ,its a good make so I cannot see any problems using it I used the glossy type.
Old 25th November 2017, 06:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Warmtone or regular?
Normal tone neither cool or warm.

Big Paul. Are you sure it was made by Fotospeed or a re-boxed brand from another manufacturer. I would have thought that setting up a paper coating factory would not be worth while for such a relatively small company
Old 25th November 2017, 08:32 AM
Friend

I used to use it quite a lot, it is very nice paper, made by Harman for Fotospeed, to fotospeed's own formula, which was an Indian formula, until the Sterling factory burned down, It is a Chlro bromide formula and if developed in either the Fotospeed WT 10 warm tone developer or the Harman warmtone developer it can be quite warm, it is described as neutral to warm tone,it also tones very well in Sepia, in fact the Sterling RCVC, which was imported by Fotospeed for quite a while and sold as Sterling RCVC was the RC paper for toning, and carried on later when Fotospeed re packed the Sterling paper as their own brand, untill the Indian sterling factory burned down, when they had it msde for them to the original sterling formula, untill Agfaphoto went and then had it made for them, to the Sterling formula, by Harman, It is a top notch paper, easily as good quality as Ilford, and all grades are reached, I prefefered to print on it to Ilford, and have got some very nice warm tone prints on it,The lustre is the same as Ilford''s Pearl finish, I think that is all, I used it for many years, both as Sterling and later Fotosped, and was always very pleased with the results,
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 25th November 2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 25th November 2017, 11:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I used to use it quite a lot, it is very nice paper, made by Harman for Fotospeed, to fotospeed's own formula, which was an Indian formula, until the Sterling factory burned down, It is a Chlro bromide formula and if developed in either the Fotospeed WT 10 warm tone developer or the Harman warmtone developer it can be quite warm, it is described as neutral to warm tone,it also tones very well in Sepia, in fact the Sterling RCVC, which was imported by Fotospeed for quite a while and sold as Sterling RCVC was the RC paper for toning, and carried on later when Fotospeed re packed the Sterling paper as their own brand, untill the Indian sterling factory burned down, when they had it msde for them to the original sterling formula, untill Agfaphoto went and then had it made for them, to the Sterling formula, by Harman, It is a top notch paper, easily as good quality as Ilford, and all grades are reached, I prefefered to print on it to Ilford, and have got some very nice warm tone prints on it,The lustre is the same as Ilford''s Pearl finish, I think that is all, I used it for many years, both as Sterling and later Fotosped, and was always very pleased with the results,
Richard
Thank you Richard for your comprehensive answer. The paper is quite a bit cheaper to the Ilford multigrade warmtone RC so I should give it a try. Fotospeed also promote a havier base, or as they say, generously weighted base, although I don't think it differs from other papers in this regard.
Old 25th November 2017, 12:26 PM
Friend

Miha, yes, it is certainly it is heavier than either MG or Kentmere, these are the only two RC papers that I can compare it with, it is a quality paper whichever way you look at it, Over here it is not a lot cheaper than Ilford, but still would be a paper of choice for me in RC.
Richard
Old 25th November 2017, 12:55 PM
Friend

I agree with what Richard has said it is a nicely toned paper

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 25th November 2017, 02:26 PM
Friend

I have used this paper and found it to be a quality paper and tend to prefer to Ilford in RC. I would say it is more neutral than warmtone.

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies