Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th April 2020, 05:22 PM
Friend

Default Sue Davies RIP

The founder of the Photographers’ Gallery in London has died aged 87.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...avies-obituary
Old 1st May 2020, 12:04 PM
Friend

I never new the history of the gallery in Newport Street, but was a regular to it, whenever I was up the West End of London, visiting other galleries, when I lived in the east end of London.

I always found the cafe more busy with people, rather than people walking around looking at the pictures on the walls, which surround the cafe itself.

And then it moved not far away and again I visited a few times with the class, whilst I was studying at Uni for my photography degree, not so long ago.

The prices of stuff sold in the new building, like film and cameras, were never the cheapest but it was great that most of it's exhibitions, in both buildings, were free, which attracted a not so well off student like myself.

Terry S
Old 1st May 2020, 03:12 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
The prices of stuff sold in the new building, like film and cameras, were never the cheapest but it was great that most of it's exhibitions, in both buildings, were free, which attracted a not so well off student like myself.

Terry S

They then made it only free in the morning and I understand from my sister with whom I used to visit it at both the old and new sites when visiting her in the big smoke that you have to pay in the morning as well now.

I found some of the exhibitions a bit esoteric and not of great interest to me, but one can't expect to win them all. I liked looking at all the books though! It was a good, rare and welcome venue back in the day.
Mike
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I found some of the exhibitions a bit esoteric and not of great interest to me, but one can't expect to win them all. I liked looking at all the books though! It was a good, rare and welcome venue back in the day.
Mike
Like Mike, I found some of the exhibitions really interesting and others were just rather up themselves - almost trying to be too arty.

I liked the bookshop and I've bought a few from there as the well - occasionally for less than the price they are selling for on Amazon.

The coffee shop sells a decent cup of coffee for a sensible~ish price (for London at least)

Martin
Old 4th May 2020, 08:12 AM
Friend

Very sad news.

Sue did an enormous amount for photography in the UK.

In the early 1980s, if you wanted to learn about contemporary photography around the world, the only enlightening sources were Creative Camera magazine and The Photographers' Gallery which was an absolute oasis in the photographic desert that was London at the time.

I used to go every weekend to see the exhibitions and browse the bookshop which was then run by Clare De Rouen. She introduced me to many amazing photographers work that I had never heard of and who remain firm favourites to this day.

David.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies