Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th January 2021, 03:53 PM
Friend

Default SilvergrainClassics Fireside Chats

Hi!
The team of the wonderful magazine "Silvergrain Classics International" had the idea to bring together different people from the analogue photography world. The first two editions ran already and can be followed on their Youtube channel:
N°1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwdwdcOG4QU
N°2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7M_VP9lkSw
Next edition already planned.
Anyone interested in a lot of information first hand? From Kodak, Jobo or Adox? New products ahead? Explanations why some are currently not available? Here you go!
Best wishes, Frank
Old 17th January 2021, 05:20 PM
Friend

Thanks for the heads up PanFrank ,I do get fed up with the videos of people walking about taking photos ,so it is a breath of fresh air to hear people who know what there talking about .
Old 17th January 2021, 06:17 PM
Friend

Thanks for this I shall watch it in my free time after my home schooling breakdown

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17th January 2021, 08:40 PM
Friend

I have just watched the first of the two and thanks Pan Frank for the links. It is over an hour long so be prepared for a longish sit. It wasn't clear to me what the Jobo workshops consist of? Is this something sponsored by Jobo who make tanks and processors but is really to do with film processing and darkroom print making and the use of Jobo equipment is in effect incidental? Anyone know?

For me that most interesting part was the Kodak Alaris spokesperson who is a Brit, ex chemical engineer who was based at the former Harrow works and had been a Kodak and now KA employee since 1989 so steeped in Kodak and not a marketing/ PR person who is a "Johnnie Come Lately" to Kodak and is still based here in the U.K.

His explanation for the current shortage of C41 colour film was in a word Covid. When it arrived nearly a year ago it sounds as if production was in a position to match the demand. The good news is that in 2021 but towards the end of 2021 he expects as things slowly get back to normal that the backlog of demand will be met by production. It wasn't clear to me when in 2021 this might be but to be fair to the spokesperson it was clear to him either because if we are honest no-one really knows when the world will return to normal

He also said that KA had two new products in the pipeline and by pipeline I took it that the will appear this year. These were a new product and what he described as the re-launch of an old product.

He wouldn't be drawn on what these were but from his demeanour I got the impression that these were pipeline products rather than just pipe-dream ones

I was reasonably impressed but what appeared to be his honest and grounded attitude

I have yet to see the second Fireside Chat which concerns Adox and what they are doing

Mike
Old 18th January 2021, 08:42 AM
Friend

Thanks for the links - interesting show and magazine by the looks of it. Not sure if it's available Uk though?

Tony
Old 18th January 2021, 09:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
Thanks for the links - interesting show and magazine by the looks of it. Not sure if it's available Uk though?

I buy the magazine from their site and it comes really quickly to the uk

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18th January 2021, 01:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
As Quendil / David says, it is available to the UK and can be ordered on their website:

https://silvergrainclassics.com/en/ Note that using this link with the /en/ at the end, gives you more downloads than the straight site address, without the /en/

I subscribed to the first four issues, through a kickstarter campaign, if I remember correctly. I would have continued to subscribe, but I just don't have the time to read this magazine along with loads of other stuff.

Be warned that it is on the expensive side, being 14.90 Euros a copy, plus another 5 Euros for p/p, but it really is a quality produced magazine, with a lot of content to read. Despite the cost, it is well worth buying if you have the time and can afford it.

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 18th January 2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 18th January 2021, 01:18 PM
Friend

Cool Download link to manuals, catalogues etc.

I've only just found out that if you go directly to the magazines page, but with /en/ at the end of the web address, one is offered a set of further links at the bottom of the page, that you are not given on the main web-page, without the /en/. It is right at the bottom where there is white text on black:

https://silvergrainclassics.com/en/

Here I found a link, where you can download various bits of reading material from at the moment, four manufacturers:

https://silvergrainclassics.com/en/downloads/

The manufacturers being:

AGFA, Heidelberg,JOBO and LPL, with me finding the Jobo one of most interest, as I have some of their equipment.

Note that on most of the Jobo links at least, the manuals are written in German, but if you scroll down about half way through the pages, you will then find them in English as well.

Terry S
Old 18th January 2021, 02:53 PM
Friend

If anyone watches the second chat then what Lina Bessonova has to say about her design of a new easel might be interesting but in the chat there was no more info than that about it unfortunately

What I found more interesting was what Mirko Boeddeker had to say about the U.K. leaving the EU and the position it puts Fotoimpex in terms of exporting good to U.K based customers. I will say no more than that but for anyone who buys direct from Fotoimpex or is thinking of so doing it is worth a listen

Mike
Old 18th January 2021, 07:39 PM
Friend

Jobo is doing darkroom courses, as far as I know. Of course using their equipment.
SilvergrainClassics have their very own academy in Bad Nauheim, near to Frankfurt am Main. One can rent a first class studio and darkroom: https://silvergrainclassics.com/en/studio-lab/.
They also do workshops: https://silvergrainclassics.com/en/workshops-tours/. The large format course was held in Brussels and everyone said it was magnificent.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies