Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th August 2012, 10:49 AM
Friend

Default Sulfur Toning

I've seen several photos recently on the net that have been sulfur toned. I'm wonder is it an easy process to perform and is the toner readily available?

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 8th August 2012, 11:29 AM
Friend

I have not tried Sulphur Toning, but there is a bit about how to use the process on http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...nleitungen/113 including some formula to use.
Old 8th August 2012, 02:47 PM
Friend

Sulphur toning is not my thing for my work but a friend of mine (does landscapes and still life) has produced extremely subtle and beuatiful multi-toned prints following Wolfgang Moersch's instructions - part one of a three part article in English can be found here:

http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...en/113/lang:en

My friend is not the most practical of people and has a habit of not thoroughly reading instructions. However, his very first prints following Moersch's advice were successful - so I think it must be a relatively easy process.

Best,

David
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 8th August 2012, 03:01 PM
Friend

my mind is going, what was the one that stunk of, I think bad eggs
Old 8th August 2012, 04:56 PM
Friend

I don't know about sulphur toning, but if you are looking for the rotton eggs stuff, mainly a form of sepia toning, but can be much more subtle than thio kits, then tetenal do a sulphide toner kit, very easy to use, and works well, mainly bleach/ tone but can be used in a variety of ways, I have used it in the past, but sadly no longer as my darkroom now is part of the main house and it stinks the place out, I wouldn't mind in the interests of fine photography, but my other half objects, strongly, I believe AG stock it, as does Firstcall
Richard
Old 12th September 2012, 01:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I've seen several photos recently on the net that have been sulfur toned. I'm wonder is it an easy process to perform and is the toner readily available?
Hi Vincent,

Sodium sulphide aka sepia is very easy, effective and gives beautiful results with the right paper. It's a three-stage process - you bleach the presoaked print, was it, then immerse it in the toning chemistry. Then wash and dry. Sodium sulphide toners emit hydrogen sulphide gas, which smells like bad eggs and can fog photographic materials like papers and films. Odourless toners use thiourea aka thiocarbamide, which is probably carcinogenic. But don't let that put you off! :-D

Here are a few links to retailers that sell toners; one in the UK (AG), two in Ireland. Also check out the forum's sponsors - but check before buying as they're all UK based and may not ship to the ROI.

http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php...ory&path=69_93
http://www.barkerphotographic.ie/cat...=73&subcat=126
http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/toners-96-c.asp (check that chems can be shipped to ROI from UK).

Have fun,
kevs.

Last edited by kevsNorthants; 12th September 2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: adding more
Old 20th September 2012, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Do be aware that non-smelly versions of sepia toner are widely available. I'm not 100% sure they give exactly the same result, but they are certainly very similar, if not identical. They are the ones I use - I've never used the smelly type myself.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Do be aware that non-smelly versions of sepia toner are widely available. I'm not 100% sure they give exactly the same result, but they are certainly very similar, if not identical. They are the ones I use - I've never used the smelly type myself.
I've used both and I'd challenge you on that point; in my experience sodium sulphide toners give different results to those from odourless thiocarbamide ones. I've found that sulphide is more selective of highlights whereas thiocarbamide appears to affect the whole image. The colours are different too. They are different chemicals so we *should* expect different results.

Cheers,
kevs
Old 26th September 2012, 06:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsNorthants View Post
I've used both and I'd challenge you on that point; in my experience sodium sulphide toners give different results to those from odourless thiocarbamide ones. I've found that sulphide is more selective of highlights whereas thiocarbamide appears to affect the whole image. The colours are different too. They are different chemicals so we *should* expect different results.

Cheers,
kevs
Kevs, I too have used both types of toners, and Agree the smelly type does give a different result, the smelly can give a much more delicate tone, I prefer the sulphide, but unfortunately my wife doesn't, so I don not use it as much as I would like
Richard
Old 26th September 2012, 02:52 PM
Friend

It might be appropriate here to try and sort out the "smelly" bit. Some go as far as to say that it really needs to be done at the bottom of the garden( Tim Rudman for instance) but this may be a slightly comical exaggeration. Others and I think Dave Miller was one played down the problem

My two questions would be:1. If you can open the window how bad is the smell in the room and how far beyond the room is it likely to go? My darkroom is a converted bedroom.

2. As long as the paper not being used is wrapped in its black wrapper and inside its box, is there any real chance of fogging?

Most of us considering the smelly stuff might risk it if the smell is confined to the room and drifts out of a window but fogging of boxes of paper is of course beyond what's acceptable - well to me at least and if this were at all likely I'd have to stick to the thiocarbamide

So experiences of the users of the smelly stuff in terms of the two points above are most welcome.

Thanks

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies