Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th July 2013, 06:53 PM
Friend

Default APS cameras/film

Has any one had any experience with the APS FORMAT?
I have just bought some cameras on EBay form a collectors/curiosity
point of view as I know it's a defunct format, but I have got some film (all be it out of date) and my local photo shop still process it and will print and add it to CD.
the SLR cameras I have got are Canon EOS IX Lite, Nikon Pronea S, and a Minolta Vectis S1,
and compact cameras Canon IXUS III and a Minolta Vetics 300L

I was just interested in others views and experiences.

Christopher.
Old 12th July 2013, 08:26 PM
Friend

Sorry Chris, never used APS

Mike
Old 13th July 2013, 05:34 AM
Friend

Like Mike I have never used one, Can you still get any APS film ?
Richard
Old 13th July 2013, 07:32 AM
Friend

Hi chris, used APS 35mm in point and shoots years ago. Apart from the way they came back from the developer, from what I remember it was no different to ordinary 35mm film. I think the cameras had a panoramic mode as well as the "normal" mode.

I do remember that the cannisters were oval and not round and the top of the cannister had holes in it with a white marker behind them which moved to indicate the status of the film unused, used, to be developed and developed. Films came back in nice boxes with a contact sheet, set of prints and the film was rewound on to the cannister ( which was included in the box ), no loose negs like traditional 35mm format. Think I might even have a box to hand at home, if anyone interested can post some pics.

Ian
Old 13th July 2013, 07:44 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I have a Canon Ixus I used for a while. I did not think the film was as large as 35 mm but as has been said it is returned inside the cassette so I have never actually seen it. Apparently all the negatives are the same size and the different printing format, say to panoramic, is because there is a code put on the film at the time of shooting that tells the printing machine to print it that way. You can apparently get a normal print from a 'panoramic' negative if you can override the machine's automatic setting. As I recall there are 3 options for format, at least on my Ixus there are. I would need to dig out the camera to see what they are.

Since writing the above I have found the following on Wikipedia
"The film is 24 mm wide, and has three image formats:
H for "High Definition" (30.2 × 16.7 mm; aspect ratio 16:9; 4×7" print)
C for "Classic" (25.1 × 16.7 mm; aspect ratio 3:2; 4×6" print)
P for "Panoramic" (30.2 × 9.5 mm; aspect ratio 3:1; 4×11" print)
The "C" and "P" formats are formed by cropping. The full image is recorded on the film, and an image recorded in one aspect ratio can be reprinted in another. The "C" format has an equivalent aspect ratio to a 135 film image. Most APS cameras (with the exception of some disposable cameras) can record all three formats; the format selection is indicated on the film by a series of exposed squares alongside the image area or recorded on the magnetic coating depending on the camera. In the absence of an operator-specified format, the machine printing an APS roll will use these indicators to determine the output format of each print."

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 13th July 2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 13th July 2013, 08:12 AM
Friend

I have developed APS film for other people and it was a pain, the film is too narrow for a normal 35mm reel so I had to adapt a normal moveable top reel to accommodate it even then it slipped a little . That format was the devil incarnate cos' it didn't fit in my film scanner either!!
Old 14th July 2013, 07:46 PM
Friend

My Wife had a camera like that. It was given to her. It worked rather well as I recall, and at the time getting the film processed was no problem. I never tried processing any myself.
Give it a go, you might find you like it. I think my Wife would probably have continued using the camera if film had continued to be available at a reasonable price.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:46 PM
Friend

Thanks for all your help and comments, I will give it a go it should be quite interesting.
When I get a film developed I will share my findings here.
to DavidH, I take point about film my local store charges £10 for a 25 exposure film and some of the prices are ridicules on Ebay anybody would think they were buying gold dust.
although I managed to buy 12 films for £10.76 on ebay they were Dixons own brand 25 exposure ISO 200, so that should keep me going for a while

Christopher.

Last edited by CornishChris; 15th July 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 31st July 2013, 07:02 PM
Friend

There is some around:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_954rvxi44j_p
http://www.instantfilmdirect.co.uk/aps-film-16-c.asp
Old 13th March 2018, 03:40 PM
New User

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I have mostly 35mm and 1 MF camera, but I've just bought a Vectis S-1 for 99p from eBay, and some very expired film (2009). The user manual for the camera looks like it's quite an interesting beast, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies