Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd January 2020, 12:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
even once my eyes had become dark-adapted
And there's the issue.
I am a printer by trade, litho and flexo and gravure, and colour is always a problem. Seeing colour is a subjective thing, as we are all different to each other. We had to have viewing booths painted in a very specific grey, illuminated by very specific lights of a very specific colour temperature. And this was just to view a bread bag.
Magazines? If the paper was a slightly different colour, it would change everything. But here's the scary thing - our perception of colour would change over the day. Only minutely, and in blind(sorry!) tests, my friends, not colleagues, wouldn't see the difference. How tired we were after a 14 hour shift would alter our perception.
The skylights on one press were a problem. Daylight mixed with electrical light caused metamerism issues, as the lights in the press hall were supposed to be matched to a supermarket environment, which is not daylight.....
And some caucasian males (genetic issue) will lose their red/green colour sensitivity over time.....
I enjoy evening/night-time walks over The Malvern Hills. On a clear, moon-lit night you can read the map without a torch. Colours are discernible, BUT IT TAKES TIME for the eyes to be accustomed. If you just step outside your brightly lit house to see the northern lights, YOUR eyes might not adapt that quickly to see the colours.
Fun and games, hey?
Old 2nd January 2020, 03:52 PM
Friend

or do what I do, I shoot everything in black and white .

Happy new year to you all...………….
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies