Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th January 2020, 07:18 PM
Friend

John King mentioned nuts and bolts for use as an abrasive.
I do not know how badly encrusted the container is, but dry rice grains or dried peas are often recommended for cleaning wine decanters.
Handful of rice and a splosh of water, put the stopper back in, and give it a good shake up.
The beauty is that they are hard enough to knock off the old dried wine staining, but not hard enough to chip or frost the glass interior.
Possibly not tough enough for the job in hand.

edit... Do not use too much water, as it will tend to cushion the effect of the peas and rice.
Old 7th January 2020, 08:55 PM
Friend

Nat, I think Terry is referring to a plastic bottle of fixer but dry rice would seem excellent glass. For plastic it struck me that sharp sand as sold by builders' merchants might be a good alternative to nuts and bolts, given its ability to scour the plastic like liquid sandpaper.

It's just a thought as I have never tried it

Mike
Old 7th January 2020, 11:19 PM
Friend

I also use sharp sand for cleaning. Not for photography, but the dogs stainless steel water bowl and meat bowl. Much better than keeping a separate scouring pad for the dogs dishes.
Old 7th January 2020, 11:26 PM
Friend

A little bit of cleaning history.

We were told by the gym teacher when I was a lad, that the origin of the gymnasium medicine ball was from the knights of old cleaning their chain mail armour.
Apparently they would put their mail suit into a leather bag along with sand. Then it would be stitched up tight like a very heavy football.
This would then be used for exercise like a modern day medicine ball. The sand would rub against the chain mail and get into all of the cracks and crevices and so all of the rust would be removed. Leaving you with a fit knight and rust free chain mail.

I can bore for England.
Old 7th January 2020, 11:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post

I can bore for England.
Nat. that's the kind of boring story I like. I feel you either have a brain that consumes such historical facts and stores some of them or you don't

That may describe you and I. Doesn't make us better people unfortunately. I know this because the wife says to me how in hell do remember such trivia D

Mike
Old 7th January 2020, 11:55 PM
Friend

What I forgot to add, leading on from " A Knights Tale " .
Try sand and a length of bath plug chain with a dash of water.

I found a couple of dodgy methods on the web involving heating up a couple of carcinogenic chemicals and swirling them around. Trouble is they are both very flammable.
Probably end up with no house left and a bed in the burns ward.

Remember...…
Never trust a gas fitter that has no eyebrows.

Cheers
Old 8th January 2020, 09:02 AM
Friend

Quote:

We were told by the gym teacher when I was a lad, that the origin of the gymnasium medicine ball was from the knights of old cleaning their chain mail armour.
Apparently they would put their mail suit into a leather bag along with sand. Then it would be stitched up tight like a very heavy football.
This would then be used for exercise like a modern day medicine ball. The sand would rub against the chain mail and get into all of the cracks and crevices and so all of the rust would be removed. Leaving you with a fit knight and rust free chain mail.

I can bore for England.
Hi Nat,
The Knights of old did not do this work below their status, but in those days of old if you were a woman of low birth then you would be married and have children by the age 17, and so you need to keep the younger ones busy,so you fill barrels with sand, and chain mail, then get the kids to pusn round and round the yard for a week or 2, then for 2 groats you give the clean and shiny chain mail back to the knights, and have some tired kids who just want to sleep, peaceful life and 2 groats would buy your food for a month, I tell this and other story's every week from May to September doing living history every Tuesday set in the 15th century, I can bore you with a thousand of these tales, but our visitors love them, they stay for hours sometimes with our tales of past days
Richard
Old 8th January 2020, 11:56 AM
Friend

Hello Richard.
With my version, the knights exercised at the same time by throwing the chain mail medicine ball to each other.
Status or not, you cannot get fit by paying someone to go to the gym and exercise for you. If that was the case we would not have so many lard buts sitting in the House of Lords and The Commons.
I first encountered living history bods a few years ago on a misty morning at a stately home.
I turned a corner in the garden and found three medieval people gardening and singing. I do not believe in ghosts but it gave me a bit of a start.
Keep up the good work Richard. I am sure you realise just how much enjoyment you folk give to the visitors.

Back to the subject.
Sharp sand, and a length of bath plug chain, swirled around might do the trick.

Cheers all.
Old 8th January 2020, 01:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Hello Richard.
With my version, the knights exercised at the same time by throwing the chain mail medicine ball to each other.
Status or not, you cannot get fit by paying someone to go to the gym and exercise for you. If that was the case we would not have so many lard buts sitting in the House of Lords and The Commons.
I first encountered living history bods a few years ago on a misty morning at a stately home.
I turned a corner in the garden and found three medieval people gardening and singing. I do not believe in ghosts but it gave me a bit of a start.
Keep up the good work Richard. I am sure you realise just how much enjoyment you folk give to the visitors.

Back to the subject.
Sharp sand, and a length of bath plug chain, swirled around might do the trick.

Cheers all.
In the 15th centuay, ny main time period, the Knights would get all their exercise praticing with their battle swords, they practiced for several hours a day, 6 days a week, they had the sabbath off so they coud pray all day,and it was not Knights that used chain mail, they would use plate armour, the soldiers would have the chain mail if they could afford it,so when they were off they got their kids to clean the mail, sand in barrels, yes, we give a lot of pleasure to a lot of people over the season, especialy to our American visitors, and of course we set our characters in Jersey history, again back on subject, I neded to clean up some bottles that had been used for fixer today, and was running low on Blech, didn't feel like going out in the rain to get fresh so tried soaking the bottles in hot water with a lot of washing up , and they are clean and fresh, no sign of fixer deposits
Richard
Old 8th January 2020, 03:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
so you fill barrels with sand, and chain mail, then get the kids to pusn round and round the yard for a week or 2, then for 2 groats you give the clean and shiny chain mail back to the knights,
You can still play that game today, but with smaller items....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I56RV...N4WSF5PS&pd_rd
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies