Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th February 2020, 07:18 PM
Friend

Default Collecting old film cameras

I had a habit of trawling through camera sellers and ebay buying old film cameras at the cheap end of the market. Generally they were all sorts of makes that I liked to have a go with.

As far as 35mm go I still collect ones I find but tend to stick to Olympus or Miranda (Pre 1980 ones) these days. I also do pay more for ones I want (Just got an OM3 I have wanted for ages) but I do still buy the cheap spares or repair ones.

The spare/repairs ones are often ones I already have but if cheap enough I get them for the spare parts in case I need them. Does anyone else do this ro is it just me?
Old 5th February 2020, 08:22 PM
Friend

Hi Quendil ,what you have got is what medical experts call an illness ,I know because i have suffered from it for years ,it all started when I got interestid in photography ,my illness involves buying 2 of everything and sometimes more , I have 4 Nikon F3s why I don't know ,the only cure is to sell most of it on eBay ,and buy some more with the money you got . to be truthful there is not a cure ,we are inflected for all our life , but if it makes us happy that is all that matters ,we only have one life so we must enjoy it . I am sitting here holding my 645 camera and thinking what a beautiful machine ,what a sad bugger I am
Old 5th February 2020, 09:32 PM
Friend

It's known as Gas, no noine cure, maybe goes into decline for a while until you see a camera that you have just got to have and use, I know as I have sufferes from the same problem for many years and have everything from old Barnack Leica's from the Forties to my latest attack of Gas last years when I just had to get a Minolta 7000I, after all, I had one when they first came out, and it was a lovely camera, so one led to two, which lead to 2 700 si's and just a few lenses, after all you need lenses to get the best out of the camera's, then I just had to have a Minolta flash, after all, the 700si's had HSS and flash at all shutter speeds would be so useful, then I needed another flash for the second camera, My wife didn't help at Christmas, I had drooled over the 800si, such a powerful camera, and when I opened my present out came the 800si, attack was over untill mid January, I had been wondering how long my poor old ETRsi would last, it was more than a bit battered, we went into town just to do a little shopping and I just had to look in at our local camera repair shop, what was in the window,?, why, just a new old stock of a Bronica ETRsi, boxed, immaculate, and not that expensive at just £199, so I bought it home with me, He also had a used 150mm lens only £59, so that came home as well, attack now over for now, but bet it will return, better start saving some pennys, after all, there are a few good camera sites around and many are bookmarked
Richard
Old 6th February 2020, 08:52 AM
Friend

GAS ..................... tell me about it!!!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 6th February 2020, 04:15 PM
Friend

GAS attack. No, not Gear Acquisition Syndrome, but the Glad And Sorry situation. I've purchased some cameras over the years (YAY, Glad now...) only to find that I 'need' some more stuff to go with them...(Sorry, now - until I fill the gaps.)
A large format camera? More DDS, RFHs, enlarger, etc., etc.
A rangefinder camera? More lenses, etc., etc.
You get the point. Enjoy it while you can, it's what it's there for.
Old 10th February 2020, 11:24 PM
Friend

Does 300 or more camera's count as GAS or an addictive problem
Old 11th February 2020, 07:34 AM
Friend

Just attacks of Gas, they come and go, no none cire, just as you think you have it under control you come across a collectable camera ,or pass a shop, I thought with me it was gone, but I made the mistake of goiing into town last Thursday and was parked close to the local camera repairer, and just happened to look in his window, and he had a Canon A1 looking lonely in in the corner, so I just had to buy it and take it home to be friends with the other Canon AE1 I bought from him last november, Ah well, maybe now the Gas is gone
Richard
Old 11th February 2020, 08:12 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishChris View Post
300 + ???? Definately an addiction

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 11th February 2020, 08:41 AM
Friend

Smile

I have 100+ cameras, I like having them around the house, my wife collects Staffordshire figurines, competition for display space is keen. I try and use all my cameras but I am considering sorting out the "wheat from the chaff". Procrastinating is a condition I suffer from, one day I will think about getting some help for that problem.
Old 11th February 2020, 09:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishChris View Post

I feel much better now
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies