Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th February 2022, 05:17 PM
Friend

I suspect it is a supply / demand situation. Even the film that Silverprint stock is 17 EUR on European websites, ie. there is a 60% markup in the UK.

When I'm making masks I don't want to be thinking of costs, because often a mask need to be made a few times to get it right.

Importing from the US seems ok for a box that is used up within 6 months. I might consider doing this and not stocking film for so long.

On an old forum somewhere I read that someone had an US imported box of Arista Ortho Litho for about a year and only then did he start seeing the effects of x-ray fogging. I'm not sure why this would be, but it does mirror what I'm seeing.
Old 4th February 2022, 05:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Yes, but that's expensive if it all gets fogged by x-rays!
Indeed it is - but it seems the effects of fogging take around a year to appear. I read this elsewhere and it does match what I'm seeing too. SO i could import 6 months supply at a time.
Old 4th February 2022, 05:43 PM
Friend

How does this workout price-wise but it would need to be cut down? Or perhaps they could order 4x5"?
https://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.ph...product_id=443

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 4th February 2022, 09:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post
On an old forum somewhere I read that someone had an US imported box of Arista Ortho Litho for about a year and only then did he start seeing the effects of x-ray fogging. I'm not sure why this would be, but it does mirror what I'm seeing.
Just curious about these XRays. So the fogging is caused by X Rays as a result of it being X-rayed by an airport scanner? Are these the result of it being a box sent by the retailer via air-mail to a private address outside of the U.S.?

If so then presumably there is no Xraying when sending a large stock order to a recognised retailer such as Silverprint? What happens if you were to order from Europe as per the link? Does a such an order escape Xrays because it can be sent via road and sea from Europe but if you wanted it urgently via air from Europe then the same scanners that use XRays from the U.S. are used via air from Europe?

Finally why does a blast of XRays take 6 months to fog and not fog instantly as would be the case with ordinary film?

Thanks

Mike
Old 5th February 2022, 09:28 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
How does this workout price-wise but it would need to be cut down? Or perhaps they could order 4x5"?
https://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.ph...product_id=443
Works out really well actually, around 30c / sheet of 4x5. Thanks! I may do this.
Old 5th February 2022, 09:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just curious about these XRays. So the fogging is caused by X Rays as a result of it being X-rayed by an airport scanner? Are these the result of it being a box sent by the retailer via air-mail to a private address outside of the U.S.?

If so then presumably there is no Xraying when sending a large stock order to a recognised retailer such as Silverprint? What happens if you were to order from Europe as per the link? Does a such an order escape Xrays because it can be sent via road and sea from Europe but if you wanted it urgently via air from Europe then the same scanners that use XRays from the U.S. are used via air from Europe?

Finally why does a blast of XRays take 6 months to fog and not fog instantly as would be the case with ordinary film?

Thanks

Mike
Yes, I got this film from FreeStylePhoto in California, shipped to me via FedEx. I assume air carriers xray everything but really don't know how carriers operate on land and sea. As for the delayed effect, I have no idea. I read it elsewhere and it seems to explain what I am seeing. I've reduced my safelight to the absolute minimum to ensure its not that and changed my developer. I've produced around 10 masks, all of them have some fogging. I'm now at risk of pulling all my hair out and it's time to get another box from somewhere!
Old 5th February 2022, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Thanks Terry, that'd be great. I'll PM you my address
I've just read your PM Faraz. I'll pack it up today and probably post it Monday.

Terry S
Old 5th February 2022, 02:05 PM
Friend

thanks so much Terry
Old 5th February 2022, 04:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
As for the delayed effect, I have no idea. I read it elsewhere and it seems to explain what I am seeing.
I am no XRay expert and know little of the physics involved but it strikes me that scanner fogging by its very nature is instantaneous The rays act instantly or not at all

Maybe others with more knowledge can help on this?

I think and hope that dispatch from a mainland European dealer to a private U.K. address avoids XRays by avoiding air mail since if it involves airmail and assuming that the retailer is subject to the same process as might be any small parcel from a private citizen in Europe to another private citizen in the U.K. then it would seem to be likely to involve scanners

It is your business but if it were me I'd want to check with the retailer in question that any order is not scanned by XRays or at least get an assurance that it will remain unaffected. Dispatch from a regular retailer might have the necessary exemptions

Mike
Old 14th March 2022, 03:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I've just read your PM Faraz. I'll pack it up today and probably post it Monday.

Terry S
Quote:
thanks so much Terry
@Faraz: Have you managed to try out the restrainer that I sent to you? Did it work if so?

Terry S

Edit: I've just seen that Faraz hasn't been seen since 21 February 2022 - not too long, I hope and that he returns.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies