Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd February 2022, 02:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
All this chat about Rodinal has got me wanting to try something else much the same but with the same effect. I am thinking about buying the chemicals necessary ingredients to make up the formula suggested by Beutler's formula. I remember that before mixing to to make up the working solution, Beutler developer did not discolour or go off

I used it in the 1960's when I started out and I remember it was CHEAP! The Chemicals (3) were mixed so that 2 were mixed together and one was on its own into 1 litre concentrates. Dilution was 1+1+8 The Chemicals are easy to get but I will need a set of scales as well which is what is holding me back. Any suggestions where I could buy an accurate set, but not too expensive.

John, just a thought here - I recall reading in Barry Thornton's Edge of Darkness that he worked on improving Beutler's formula, and came up with his own two-bath version. Might be worth a look to see if that's worth trying. He came up with three recipes for the B bath, I think.... for normal-, high-, and low-contrast scenes.
Old 22nd February 2022, 05:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
John, just a thought here - I recall reading in Barry Thornton's Edge of Darkness that he worked on improving Beutler's formula, and came up with his own two-bath version. Might be worth a look to see if that's worth trying. He came up with three recipes for the B bath, I think.... for normal-, high-, and low-contrast scenes.
See http://grahamp.dotinthelandscape.org.../thornton.html
and
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~simgra...nton/2bath.htm

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 22nd February 2022, 05:42 PM
Friend

Good one Jonathon. Thanks for posting that.

Also, I made a mistake in my previous post: Thornton was referring to Stoekler's two-bath developer, not Beutler's. Although similar in ingredients, there are significant differences.
Old 22nd February 2022, 07:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
I recall reading in Barry Thornton's Edge of Darkness that he worked on improving Beutler's formula, and came up with his own two-bath version. Might be worth a look to see if that's worth trying. He came up with three recipes for the B bath, I think.... for normal-, high-, and low-contrast scenes.
Svend there is a useful video on Thornton's 2 Bath by John Finch of Pictorial Planet fame He calls it: Want Ansel Adams in Your Developing Tank

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsc4...index=19&t=19s

Mike
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:22 PM
Friend

This will be my 1st sortie into making my own brew so I will stick to something simple.

What has surprised me is the price of Metol - is it mixed with gold dust.

The other two are peanuts in comparison. I have found 3 suppliers of raw chemicals, Firstcall. Silverprint and Process Supplies The cheapest is a toss up between Firstcall and Process supplies.

Last edited by John King; 22nd February 2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 23rd February 2022, 02:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
This will be my 1st sortie into making my own brew so I will stick to something simple.

What has surprised me is the price of Metol - is it mixed with gold dust.

The other two are peanuts in comparison. I have found 3 suppliers of raw chemicals, Firstcall. Silverprint and Process Supplies The cheapest is a toss up between Firstcall and Process supplies.

Yeah, Metol is pricey, but you'd only use 5 to 10 grams per batch, so the price averaged over the number of films you can develop with it is still pretty reasonable I think. I use it to mix up homebrew Perceptol and D76 which use only 5g or so per batch, so a 100g purchase lasts a long time.
Old 23rd February 2022, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I have just noticed there is an error in the formula in the post above. Concentrate B should be made up to 1000cc not 500cc. My typing error.
Hi John. I have edited your post to show 1000ml for B's "water to make" value.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:52 AM
Friend

Bob, your post has prompted a related question about making alterations to posts already posted

On FADU as far as I know once you hit the reply button the die is cast. The sender can do nothing about editing it afterwards

If I am right then I take it that adding a self editing function is expensive or in our system may even be currently impossible?

Thanks

Mike
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Bob, your post has prompted a related question about making alterations to posts already posted

On FADU as far as I know once you hit the reply button the die is cast. The sender can do nothing about editing it afterwards

If I am right then I take it that adding a self editing function is expensive or in our system may even be currently impossible?

Thanks

Mike
You do have a little while to edit a post. 30 minutes in which you can edit a post or change the title of a new thread. After that only Mods can edit them.

I think the problem with making posts indefinitely editable is that people may have already replied and then the original may be changed, potentially making the replies no longer relevant or otherwise moving the goal posts. If a post needs editing after the 30 minutes has elapsed, drop me a line and I will be happy to correct any errors. Also, the edits will not show up as a New Post so are likely to be missed by frequent visitors.

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by Bob; 23rd February 2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 23rd February 2022, 04:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Yeah, Metol is pricey, but you'd only use 5 to 10 grams per batch, so the price averaged over the number of films you can develop with it is still pretty reasonable I think. I use it to mix up homebrew Perceptol and D76 which use only 5g or so per batch, so a 100g purchase lasts a long time.
I'm using 6.5g Metol in Barry Thornton's 2-bath developer, and processing 12 x 35mm films with each batch. So used like that 100g Metol (£20?) will process 180 x 35mm films, which works out at £0.11 per film for the developing agent (and the other chemicals required are very much cheaper).

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies