Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st December 2017, 04:57 PM
Friend

Default Hot shoe level not very!

I purchased one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Shoe-...cAAOSwuhFaFvwi

Not from this seller but one from China.

I placed the cube level in the hotshoe on my Fuji GW670 and noticed straight away that the built in level on the camera top plate read different to the hotshoe level. I placed the cube level on top of my builders level the vials were all over the place. At first I thought that the hot shoe on the camera was not parallel to the camera base plate. So I placed the cameras base on a 600mm bricklayers level, the built in level on the camera was spot on and the hotshoe mounting was parallel. The hotshoe cube level was not true in every camera position. So after 10 miniutes with a marker pen and black tape my cube level is marked true to the camera base plate in all three dimensions. The cheap hot shoe cube level was 1/2 a bubble width off on all three vials, in fact when you hold it up and rotate it you can plainly see that the vials are not square to each other, all in all a piece of Chinese junk (but they can be marked up to suit your camera). I like to think I am a level headed guy who is always on the level
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:53 PM
Friend

I bought the same one some time ago- there is only one place for such poor quality items: the trash.
I have a very old one made by Linhof which is absolutely raliable - unfortunately it only fits the Linhof shoe.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:33 PM
Friend

Just go's to show China is not on the level

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies