Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th February 2020, 10:11 PM
Friend

Default Dearth of Secondhand Spotmeters

I've been reading again. The Zone System etc..
Reading leads to equipment lust, and then the dreaded urge to spend money on stuff that I have managed without for years.

Out of curiosity I have been window shopping second hand spot meters on the popular auction site and camera shops in general.
They must still be a valid tool for the photographer as they are still made and sold for quite a price.
Why o why then, is it so hard to find second hand spot meters in the UK?
Japan seems to be over run with the things but the UK is a desert.

Do people secretly hoard them? Where are they all?

Only window shopping at the moment, but can any one point me in the right direction?
Old 12th February 2020, 11:36 PM
Friend

I have four of them. Two Pentaxes (V and Digital), one Sekonic L-758Cine) and a Gossen (Starlite 2).

One day I'll decide which one I like and get rid of the others.

Nick
Old 13th February 2020, 07:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
I've been reading again. The Zone System etc..
Reading leads to equipment lust, and then the dreaded urge to spend money on stuff that I have managed without for years.

Out of curiosity I have been window shopping second hand spot meters on the popular auction site and camera shops in general.
They must still be a valid tool for the photographer as they are still made and sold for quite a price.
Why o why then, is it so hard to find second hand spot meters in the UK?
Japan seems to be over run with the things but the UK is a desert.

Do people secretly hoard them? Where are they all?

Only window shopping at the moment, but can any one point me in the right direction?
Ive been wondering exactly the same thing. However, I have a Polaris flash meter which does have a spot meter function and which seems to do a reasonable job of measuring light and helping me assess exposure so I haven’t pursued the question that deeply - I shall follow your thread with interest though!
Old 13th February 2020, 07:47 AM
Friend

I have four of them too, a Pentax, two Sekonics and a Minolta.

I think part of the problem is that most of these meters are well past the end of their design life and many well be unrepairable by now.

Combined with the relatively small market the UK represents means that they are few and far between in Britain.

Mike
Old 13th February 2020, 07:50 AM
Friend

I was looking the other month and found it difficult to find a 2nd hand spot meter. Still looking on and off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13th February 2020, 01:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
I have four of them too, a Pentax, two Sekonics and a Minolta.

I think part of the problem is that most of these meters are well past the end of their design life and many well be unrepairable by now.
The Gossen Starlite and the Sekonic L-758 should still be supported as they are current models or at least very recently superseded (by the even more expensive L-858).

Nick
Old 13th February 2020, 01:53 PM
Friend

The Gossen Lunasix 3 has a spot attachment, albeit somewhat cludgy, and has a rather large spot angle. But it should be more plentiful. Might be a stop-gap until you find a proper one.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:36 PM
Friend

Default Spotmeters

Yes they are in short supply but Ffordes have a Gossen Spotmaster 2 for sale for £179. IT is not one I am familiar with but it looks very much like a Pentax or Minolta meters.

Another avenue to look at is a Minolta Autometer 3. It is not a true spot-meter but a hybrid. If you find one complete it will come with a invercone, a flat diffuser and there should also be a 5 degree spot attachment complete with a viewfinder which clips on the sensor and shows the point where the 'spot' is reading.

It is also capable of taking multi reading and averaging them out.

I paid £89 for mine. There is a later one which also has flash metering as well.
I find mine very accurate; the exposure suggested when in spot mode is exact.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:47 PM
Friend

Default Spot meter

I have had a look at the Mr Cad website and they don't have one either but they do have a Minolta Autometer 3 for £99, but I don't think it has the spot attachment.

They do have the correct spot attachment for sale separately for another £79. This a 10 degree spot and I miss quoted mine which is also a 10 degree attachment.
Old 13th February 2020, 10:28 PM
Friend

I have the Sekonic L-508 Zoom Master ,it does all I need ,and its a great piece of kit, but just looking at them on ebay the price has gone silly ,the price of all photography kit has gone mad in the last three or four years ..

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies